"Loading Operating System"' SSD, 45 second delay after BIOS splash. Otherwise very fast.

illumind

Honorable
Sep 27, 2014
GA Z68MA-D2H-B3
i5 2400
240GB SSD (Transcend)
8Gb RAM
GTX570

Problem is a long (45~ secs) black "Loading Operating System......." screen. I have a single drive SSD installed and it temporarily hangs after BIOS splash but before Windows loads. The drive is really fast after that point, however there is no drive light activity during the whole 45 second black loading screen.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/332724-31-loading-operating-system-delay

I found link/thread above with the following answer; "the optical drive was causing the delay because when I set the SDD as the 1st boot device, the boot delay problem was gone. So, to make things the way I like them, I connected the optical drive to the Marvel ports, enabled them, and reset the optical drive back to being the 1st boot device. Problem solved." My problem appears identical, but my board only has Intel sata ports, I think.

If I change my boot order to 1-HDD and 2-CDROM then it flies past the black "Loading OS" screen during that boot cycle, but then refuses to boot at all after being shut down -until I remove the SSD, change the boot order back to 1-CDROM and 2-HDD and then reconnect the SSD. Seems to confirm I'm experiencing the same optical drive/sata port issue. Unlike their Z68 mobo, I don't think mine has marvell sata ports though... Could someone/anyone explain how to resolve this on my board with only the Intel sata ports? I'm a relative novice with hardware but should be right to follow any advise given, if it's given.

Solution

well hey if it works don't look a gift horse in the mouth

illumind

Honorable
Sep 27, 2014
**UPDATE**

This is very strange, yet very simple. I just changed the boot order to 1-USB, 2-HDD and 3-CDROM and now it boots fast EVERY TIME. As opposed to putting HDD as 1 in boot order, which stopped the machine booting at all! For some reason it has to have another device listed as number 1 for it to boot... Weird... but fixed.

Not sure how picking a solution works, but I'll pick the reply to this as the solution so it saves others attempting to 'solve' it.

well hey if it works don't look a gift horse in the mouth

Solution