Loading Stutter In Games

CordedCastle7

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to read about my problem. I cannot begin to fathom the amount of hours I have put into trying (and failing) to fix this issue. I'm getting desperate, and as my steam library grows, the problem is becoming more and more prevalent.

Keep in mind, I don't have any performance issues in regards to fps in games. All of the games I mention in this post get a decent fps. Performance is not the problem. My problem is that every so often, especially when loading in more assets or a new part of a map, I get an fps drop of anywhere from 2 -7 fps. Upon stopping movement through the world, the fps instantly returns to normal.

I first I thought it might be a hard drive issue, so I upgraded to an ssd and tried running on that. No difference. Then I tried some game specific fixes. No difference. Finally, I did a complete wipe on all my drives, reinstalled just windows and drivers. NO DIFFERENCE. A complete wipe and reinstall would not fix my issue! Is there anything I can do?

The biggest culprits for this were the Witcher 3 and AC Syndicate. In Witcher 3 , whenever loading into a new part of the map, I would get a slight stutter. This was especially prevalent on the horse. In Syndicate, (the more recent culprit) i get this same drop, even if I limit the fps to 30 and put all settings to low, I still get this "loading" stutter,

Games List Where This Occurs:
The Witcher 3
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Fallout 4 (A little)
Borderlands 2 (A little)
GTA V (A little)
Black Ops 3 (Between parts of same level in single player campaign)

Specs:
FX 8320 4.4GHZ (Tried Removing Overclock)
R9 290x 4GB
Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 Rev 4.0
8GB (4GBx2) DDR3 GSkill Sniper 1600mhz Ram
Corsair H100i GTX
SanDisk 120GB SSD Plus
WD 1TB Blue

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
Ram is 8GB, sufficient. If RAM was bad system couldn't be running Fine though i would make it sure by testing for once for the sake of convenience.

Read : http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-upgrades/how-check-for-bad-ram-modules-in-your-pc-3432631/

I'd alo try to disable any antivirus and see.

CordedCastle7

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014

PSU is a Rosewill 750w Gold Rated Capstone Power Supply.

GPU Drivers are updated to the latest crimson drivers.

Already have done full wipe and fresh windows install.

CordedCastle7

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014

Cpu Temp is Normal. About 40 C In game

Gpu Temp is Normal. Hovering in lower nineties.

One thing that I did notice is the the GPU usage was jumping between 0-3 % and 100%. Is this cause for concern? Or perhaps a bottleneck?

I can't test with a different PSU. Sorry, I only have the one :(

SPgamer007

Honorable
That jumping is the main cause.
A failing PSU or GPU temp cause this most likely, bottlenecking doesn't occur suddenly, if there was any bottleneck CPU usage could have been to 100% and GPU usage to less than 100% obviously.

Seems you have tried alot to fix it, reinstalled windows, wiped out HDD, checked drivers.

What about Motherboard BIOS?

Well, these could have fixed it though, you are seeing this in multiple games.

I would inspect the PSU and GPU.

Perhaps try GPU in different PC.

CordedCastle7

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014

I just updated my bios the other night to the latest version.

Just out of curiosity, could there be something wrong with the ram? The stutter is definitely related to loading in assets, and we know that the storage devices don't seem to be the cause, what do you think?

SPgamer007

Honorable
Ram is 8GB, sufficient. If RAM was bad system couldn't be running Fine though i would make it sure by testing for once for the sake of convenience.

Read : http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-upgrades/how-check-for-bad-ram-modules-in-your-pc-3432631/

I'd alo try to disable any antivirus and see.

Solution