[SOLVED] Loading Windows 10 into "new" build

Dec 31, 2020
Greetings All,

This is my second post in this forum. The first involved a failed ASUS TUF X570 mobo build that went orange dram after I tried installing windows 10.

Tonight I am going to try again with my second ASUS TUF X570 Mobo. My questions relate to getting Windows 10 to install via a USB. I went to the windows site and created the USB using their tool to install windows 10 onto a new PC.

I have an older case that has a USB 2.0 connection in the front. It actually has two usb ports but they feed into a single cord with a single connector that I can connect to the X570 mobo. On my failed attempt with mobo #1 I did get to the bios and went to the boot menu. It showed the Corsair NVME and had two listings for the USB. One said something like USB 2.0 generic and the other said USB 2.0 partitioned. I selected generic. That may or may not have caused a problem.

I have researched this and it appears that booting from a USB is not as simple as it seems. I have read among other things that in BIOS you need to make sure you are set to ACHI. I also read in another article that your USB boot choice should offer a UEFI USB boot option. Then I read something about you need to make sure you have some setting that allows for "legacy" 2.0 USBs.

Assuming I get the new mobo to boot tonight and can get into the bios screen. What, if anything should I look for, as far as settings to be able to load windows 10 onto my NVME from my front USB 2.0 port. Is it necessary to manipulate the boot menu order? After my first try I'm reluctant to do anything with that. I always thought that the boot order was just that - it would go through each drive in order until it found something bootable.

The mobo itself has several USB ports on the back. Is it possible to use those as bootable points? I've watched the videos on how easy it is to load windows 10 via the USB. Yet, as I've said, when I've researched problems loading windows 10 a lot of stuff comes up regarding settings etc.

Looking for some good solid advise or a link that provides a solid method of loading windows 10 via USB.

I appreciate the help in advance.

Thanks,

Fredisius

Solution
Greetings All,

This is my second post in this forum. The first involved a failed ASUS TUF X570 mobo build that went orange dram after I tried installing windows 10.

Tonight I am going to try again with my second ASUS TUF X570 Mobo. My questions relate to getting Windows 10 to install via a USB. I went to the windows site and created the USB using their tool to install windows 10 onto a new PC.

I have an older case that has a USB 2.0 connection in the front. It actually has two usb ports but they feed into a single cord with a single connector that I can connect to the X570 mobo. On my failed attempt with mobo #1 I did get to the bios and went to the boot menu. It showed the Corsair NVME and had two listings for the USB. One said...
Greetings All,

I have an older case that has a USB 2.0 connection in the front. It actually has two usb ports but they feed into a single cord with a single connector that I can connect to the X570 mobo. On my failed attempt with mobo #1 I did get to the bios and went to the boot menu. It showed the Corsair NVME and had two listings for the USB. One said something like USB 2.0 generic and the other said USB 2.0 partitioned. I selected generic. That may or may not have caused a problem.

I have researched this and it appears that booting from a USB is not as simple as it seems. I have read among other things that in BIOS you need to make sure you are set to ACHI. I also read in another article that your USB boot choice should offer a UEFI USB boot option. Then I read something about you need to make sure you have some setting that allows for "legacy" 2.0 USBs.

Assuming I get the new mobo to boot tonight and can get into the bios screen. What, if anything should I look for, as far as settings to be able to load windows 10 onto my NVME from my front USB 2.0 port. Is it necessary to manipulate the boot menu order? After my first try I'm reluctant to do anything with that. I always thought that the boot order was just that - it would go through each drive in order until it found something bootable.

The mobo itself has several USB ports on the back. Is it possible to use those as bootable points? I've watched the videos on how easy it is to load windows 10 via the USB. Yet, as I've said, when I've researched problems loading windows 10 a lot of stuff comes up regarding settings etc.

Looking for some good solid advise or a link that provides a solid method of loading windows 10 via USB.

Thanks,

Fredisius
So now you could get into bios?

i would lightly advice you to download the windows 10 .iso instead and use rufus (set partition to GPT and UEFI non bios) to make the bootable media, then install it. Also update the bios to the latest, go back to bios and load optimized defaults, disable csm, and set boot 1 into UEFI: Flashdrive name or UEFI: Flashdrive name partition 1 (not generic), and see if it boots.

Also try to use the top rear motherboard usb slot.

Greetings All,

Thanks,

Fredisius
First thing is to update BIOS to the latest available from Asus. The latest should enable all the settings to assure Windows installs in UEFI mode, with safe boot on and fTPM enabled so you don't have to worry about that. That will mean it sets up AHCI so the installer will initialize the drive in GPT and all that stuff so you don't have to worry about it.

After updating BIOS be certain to reset CMOS, before attempting to install Windows.

Insert the USB thumb drive with the Windows install package that the Media Creation Tool set up for you. Just use one of the rear I/O panel ports if you're unsure of your case ports. Any port will do but use one of the USB 3 ports if you've a USB 3 thumb drive and things will progress faster. If you've never installed Windows (or any other OS) on the boot NVME it will look for the first bootable device which is that thumb drive which in turn initiates the install process. This has worked with any modern motherboard I've ever set up, it should with yours too.

If you do have an OS installed on the NVME, and want to over-write it with the new installation, then you may have to go into BIOS to select the boot device order to go to the USB thumb drive. Sometimes pressing an F-key (F8 maybe?) during POST will force the BIOS to a boot-select menu so you can chose among available boot devices so check your manual to see.

I'd suggest doing this with just the system NVME installed, then install any data drives after the OS is installed. That avoids any mistakes getting the OS onto the right drive.

Last edited:
Solution