Question LOADS of "Base System Device" in device manager, along with performance counters and Systrem Interrupt Controllers

mega maniac

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
The attached image says it all. I am aware of the basic advice to look at the Hardware/Vendor ID - but this is about more than just a single driver... what the sod is going on here?

i9-7960x
AsRock X299 Creator
3080Ti

mega maniac

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
No image noted.

Try again using imgur (www.imgur.com).

Ah, dang.

Won't be back at this sytem until tomorrow, but I will post it then. There are about 60-80 instances of "Base System Device" and about 6 each for Performance Counters and System Interrupt Controllers.

I need to pull a couple of PCI cards (An SDI video capture and a U.2 PCIEx4 riser) just to eliminate those. I can't see then being the problem, but good practice and all.

Some background to the issue may help also, is this a new build? Did you install drivers from motherboard support site?

I just reinstalled Win 10, so it's fresh. I had noted this issue was present before reinstall. I am having some crashes as well, but I am unsure if it's related so didn't bring it up as didn't want to throw out a red herring.

Motherboard drivers - the few that there are - have been downloaded and installed (apart from 'AsRock Polychrome') - but that said all of the drivers are fairly standard and very likely to get picked up by Windows Update (Aquantia NIC, Intel Wireless/Bluetooh, Realtek Audio etc) so I can't see how they would be creating so many instances of the same thing in Device Manager.

I have installed a lot of systems, but never seen anything like this. I should mention that this exact system was previously installed in another motherboard, the motherboard was swapped out due to a non-boot issue. There is a niggling part of my brain telling me something is up with the CPU, but I can't reconcile the suspicion with any tests or outcomes.

mega maniac

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
I am also realising I have missed some drivers on the AsRock website (Windows 11 selected by default). I will install these tomorrow. I am doubtful it will rectify but fingers crossed.

I am also realising I have missed some drivers on the AsRock website (Windows 11 selected by default). I will install these tomorrow. I am doubtful it will rectify but fingers crossed.

Anything that shows up with an error or missing drivers you will need to look up the hardware ID numbers online to see what needs to be installed. After a clean setup the vendor drivers should take care of everything but sometimes the driver pack needed may be hard to track down exactly.

mega maniac

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
So I think I resolved this. I decided to deal with my intermittent crashes first - went down a rabbit hole of attempting to fix a 'distributed COM' error that appeared to be happening just before a system freeze.

I eventually read this shouldn't be a problem and is a normal part of system operations.

The intermittent nature of the crashes, with no way to 'trigger' them regularly gave me reason to suspect the SSD. I migrated my install over to another Nvme I had lying around and it seems to have solved all of my problems. Including the problem from my OP.

I'm glad it seemed to be a dodgy SSD as opposed to a dodgy CPU! (Although that always made less sense)

Image for amusement:
rOqR8qA.png

Last edited: