[SOLVED] Local Computers can see a weird Netbios name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudester4

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
When I'm connected to other wireless networks, other people can see my computer as "Macbook-EC86FA" under shared. I don't get why this is shown. I don't see this with any other mac. I have noticed that this "EC86FA" is under system prefs>network>advanced>wins>NetBIOS Name. What is NetBIOS and how do I stop my computer from showing up as this?

I'm running a Macbook(Late 2009) with OS X 10.6.6.

Solution
Those particular instructions were for earlier versions of OS X, but the principle is the same. NetBIOS is a network protocol that was, and still is, used by Windows computers in addition to - or sometimes instead of - TCP/IP. Normally it is now implemented as NetBIOS running on top of TCP/IP rather than pure NetBIOS.

It's the printer sharing that is making the NetBIOS name appear. I've just tried it with a 10.5 setup; with printer sharing off the NetBIOS name doesn't appear on the network but as soon as I turn it on it does.

I only thought of file sharing; printer sharing didn't even occur to me. If you don't want it to appear, turn printer sharing off (unless, of course, you need it).

Dudester4

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010

The instructions you linked were for v. 10.2-.4. I'm running 10.6.6. Under Sharing, only the printer sharing is checked. File sharing is off and nothing is checked under file sharing>options.

Those particular instructions were for earlier versions of OS X, but the principle is the same. NetBIOS is a network protocol that was, and still is, used by Windows computers in addition to - or sometimes instead of - TCP/IP. Normally it is now implemented as NetBIOS running on top of TCP/IP rather than pure NetBIOS.

It's the printer sharing that is making the NetBIOS name appear. I've just tried it with a 10.5 setup; with printer sharing off the NetBIOS name doesn't appear on the network but as soon as I turn it on it does.

I only thought of file sharing; printer sharing didn't even occur to me. If you don't want it to appear, turn printer sharing off (unless, of course, you need it).

Solution

Dudester4

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010

I will have to check, but I thought other computers running on the network had print sharing on and still had no Netbios showing. But I'll check. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.