Question local free wifi connection?

ldfart

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2014
there's a nearby [30m out of range] free telstra wifi gateway. i want to know how to config my router to use it?| i'm aware of the security risks.
TP -LINK AC1200 C50 even if the BSSID is hidden. linux user.

Last edited:
That router does not have the feature you need to even attempt this. The router needs what is called client-bridge mode or maybe repeater mode.

You likely have 2 other major issues.

First to run in this mode you need a feature called WDS enabled. Most public wifi will not have that feature turned on. Some tplink routers can run in what is called universal repeater mode but you have to read the specs to see if it does not all model have the ability even if they can run repeater mode.

Next and the more likely thing that will prevent it is almost nobody runs a open wifi anymore. Way to easy for bad people to use it with no ability to track them. If you look at the way say a coffee shop or hotel that has open wifi you most times need to at least click on agreement to some web page or maybe enter a code to allow it. A router has no ability to enter data into a web page.

ldfart

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2014
That router does not have the feature you need to even attempt this. The router needs what is called client-bridge mode or maybe repeater mode.

You likely have 2 other major issues.

First to run in this mode you need a feature called WDS enabled. Most public wifi will not have that feature turned on. Some tplink routers can run in what is called universal repeater mode but you have to read the specs to see if it does not all model have the ability even if they can run repeater mode.

Next and the more likely thing that will prevent it is almost nobody runs a open wifi anymore. Way to easy for bad people to use it with no ability to track them. If you look at the way say a coffee shop or hotel that has open wifi you most times need to at least click on agreement to some web page or maybe enter a code to allow it. A router has no ability to enter data into a web page.
thx. i'll defer.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Worth asking...do you or your 'rents (if applicable) pay for internet somewhere with a major service provider?

Almost all of the big players do a thing where you get "free" hotspots out and around based on your login for the service being paid for.
The biggest issue I have found with it is when you stay at the same guest location for a day or two it will require you to be active on the home devices in order to work again. Considering the distance you are talking about would seem to rule this out as a rural location, but not counting out you are in a more populated area this might apply to.

Not to be overlooked as well...does your phone have the ability to hotspot?

TRENDING THREADS