Locking my computer

My computer needs to be password protected when I leave my desk, but I don't
want to set the screen saver to any less than 10 minutes, because it is
annoying when I'm at my desk and it comes on, making me sign on again.

I would use stand by, but I have been having problems with the computer not
entering stand by mode, possibly because I have a UNIX session open, I'm not
sure. (It works after I close most of my programs, but that defeats the
purpose).

If anyone knows of a way to initiate a screen saver through a hot key so I
could turn it on right when I got up (not ten minutes later) or another way
to lock my computer without closing any programs, I would greatly appreciate
it.

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 08:24:01 -0700, sailingstu05
<sailingstu05@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>If anyone knows of a way to initiate a screen saver through a hot key so I
>could turn it on right when I got up (not ten minutes later) or another way
>to lock my computer without closing any programs, I would greatly appreciate
>it.

Hmm... right click on the desktop screen and select properties
and then the screen saver tab allows a screen saver preview, but
I have never done that with a password option, so don't know if
the "preview" will go into the password mode

You might try the MS article search site
http://search.microsoft.com/search/search.aspx?st=b&View=en-us

If Microsoft has published an article on something like
screen saver hotkey
or whatever search terms you want to use, it will be there

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

"sailingstu05" <sailingstu05@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer needs to be password protected when I leave my desk, but I
don't
> want to set the screen saver to any less than 10 minutes, because it is
> annoying when I'm at my desk and it comes on, making me sign on again.
>
> I would use stand by, but I have been having problems with the computer
not
> entering stand by mode, possibly because I have a UNIX session open, I'm
not
> sure. (It works after I close most of my programs, but that defeats the
> purpose).
>
> If anyone knows of a way to initiate a screen saver through a hot key so I
> could turn it on right when I got up (not ten minutes later) or another
way
> to lock my computer without closing any programs, I would greatly
appreciate
> it.

Ctr+Alt+Del and log out.

Ctrl-Alt-Del >> Enter.
Louis

sailingstu05 wrote:
> My computer needs to be password protected when I leave my desk, but I don't
> want to set the screen saver to any less than 10 minutes, because it is
> annoying when I'm at my desk and it comes on, making me sign on again.
>
> I would use stand by, but I have been having problems with the computer not
> entering stand by mode, possibly because I have a UNIX session open, I'm not
> sure. (It works after I close most of my programs, but that defeats the
> purpose).
>
> If anyone knows of a way to initiate a screen saver through a hot key so I
> could turn it on right when I got up (not ten minutes later) or another way
> to lock my computer without closing any programs, I would greatly appreciate
> it.

Four ways to lock a Win2K workstation:

1) Use the Windows Key + L hot key.

2) You can press CTRL+ALT+DEL and then <ENTER>.

3) You can create a desktop shortcut with
"%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation" in the
target field. (It is case-sensitive, BTW.) You can then assign a
keyboard shortcut.

4) Set a password protected screensaver, and wait the allotted time
without touching the mouse or keyboard.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: