Login to a domain in windows 7 Home Premium

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

electek

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Hello, I have an older Win2000 Server that stores much of my vital info. It has worked flawlessly for ~ 10 years, through XP, XP-MCE, Vista (yuk) & even linux w/some effort. I'm trying to dump Vista and upgrade to Win7, but am having a duce of a time getting into my domain either by mapping the disk (method previously used) or just logging in for file sharing. I am using Win7 (x64) Home Premium (came as a "free" upgrade). I have also installed it "cleanly" w/o overwriting any Vista files. Suggestions seem to indicate that only the Pro/Ultimate can access, but this seems odd given the accessibility from even XP Home edition. Suggestions please! I really need my data.

Dave

Solution
Problem solved by adding a line to registry.
If you's using Windows Server 2003 or below:

1. Access HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
2. Create a new DWORD entry called LmCompatibilityLevel
3. Modify the entry and set the value to 1
4. Reboot

We're able to connect to our server in the office using Windows 7 Home Basic and Home Premium.

madsci_sike

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010

n
nHi electec. As jessica said, you can access your networking shares. Use:
n
nYOURDOMAINNAMEAdministrator as login and your server/share password.
n
n

KDAWG_in_SJ_CA _USA

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
E,
I understand that this is 7 mos after the fact, and after reading some of the suggestions I really saw somethings I would like to try. The easiest way to ensure that you are using the domain credentials is not to use the "native windows 7 os" but to use the command prompt. I know....it is the os, but it is more powerful than some of the commands that gui just wont let you do. Any hoo. What you can do is map a drive. First off, go to my computer and view what drives are listed. Pick a letter that is after B and before Z. Let's use U: ! Ok, now to open up that command window, "the black hole!". Go to start (lower left of screen in the corner) and then in the search box directly above it, type (without quotes) "cmd". This should open the little black box. You most likely will be at a c:\ prompt (ie c:\users\electek>_). Now hopefully this will work. Again without quotes type this "net use u: \\electekservernamehere\sharenamehere /domain:electekdomainnamehere\electecdomainadmin " This should map the drive U: to your computer and give you access to that folder. (additionally you can also put a space after the admin name and then just type out your password, and it should connect without a prompt for the password.) Now from the "dreaded" command line prompt type "start u:" That should work......
Now, the world is not perfect, Adam made sure of that....stinkin' fruit eatin person- sorry. The world is not perfect, and this may not work for various reasons. The best way to narrow it down is to ensure that you are:
1. Using the correct password.
2. Spelling everything correctly
3. Make sure your backslashes are backslashes

Ok, three obvious points....here is one thing that you will need the command window again. Type "net use" and then press enter. This will show you the connections you have set up to network shares/computers - even if no drive is mapped and visible in MyComputer. Normally once you try to connect to a computer or share (command line or gui) without specifying the username and password, windows will cache your current local credentials to that share until you disconnect the share. How do you disconnect? EASY. Command LINE :). As you can see, I like the command line. :pt1cable: :bounce: :wahoo:
1. Type "net use" press enter (this lists all of the connections to other computers you have.
2. Type "net use /d *" - this normally will give you a warning- just type "Y". This will disconnect all of the connections.
3. Repeat step 1 and make sure there are no more connections listed.
If all is clear, then proceed to step #4 or #4a (if you have the heart of a true command line warrior!)
4. Again without quotes type this "net use u: \\electekservernamehere\sharenamehere /domain:electekdomainnamehere\electecdomainadmin"
4a. Ah....you are a brave one....Without quotes type this "net use u: \\electekservernamehere\sharenamehere /domain:electekdomainnamehere\electecdomainadmin passwordgoeshere"
5. Now you can repeat step #1, and if you see the connection Great! if not... :( let us know.
6. If 5 is a success, then type "start u:" or "start \\servername\sharename" and then press enter. (This should open a gui folder window (just like you clicked on it).
6a. If you are tired of the command line :ouch: or :eek: , you don't have to do #6, you can go to My Computer aka "Computer" in Win 7 and double click on the u: drive.
7. Hopefully all of that worked. I do say hopefully, and should don't I.

I say those terms, because being an admin (network, system, exchange, SAN, etc...) over the last 14 years, has taught me that not everyone's OS will work, regardless if yours is the same as mine, you may have slight differences for what ever reason. Granted, out of the box, the same, on your box, could be different. If this doesn't work let us know, unless you tire of your Journey to the Center of Windows 7...via command line Muhuhuhahahaha :pt1cable: . sorry, I have been up for about 32 hours...
Take care, and good success (I know, I know - without your server, however ! if you do have another Win xp home or Win 7 computer you can emulate the scenario, let me know if you need a way to set it up for testing.

KDAWG_in_SJ_CA

KDAWG_in_SJ_CA _USA

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Meekiah,
What exactly do you mean when you say 'connect to our server"? Just connecting (through \\server\sharename or browsing?), or actually going to Computer, properties, advanced system options, computer name, change and then tick the domain radio button? I guess one assumption I have is that you are saying that this change is to the windows 7 box, correct? Or to the Server?
Any help/clarification is greatly appreciated.
kdawg

G

Try using scripts.
open the command prompt, type the following one line at a time.

net use \\XYZ-Server /delete
net use \\XYZ-Server /user:Domain\user password
net use x: \\XYZ-Server\Data$

If all works, put them in a batch file.

Status
Not open for further replies.