Logitech Brings Back Old School With Trackball

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymz1977

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I'll probably look into getting this because once I started using trackball and getting used to it back in 2005 I have never really been a big fan of having to move my whole hand..just move my thumb. My trackman mouse is all I use for gaming.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I've got two of those "expensive" kensington tackballs (didn't and wouldn't pay for them), not even close to the logi's in my opinion. They cost three times as much, and the only benefit is they have a larger ball which is needed for the index/middle finger. I can use my logi for much longer and more accurately than my kensington's. I use the logi for autocad work, it's actually easier than a mouse for me. My MX1000 is for gaming though! My MS Trackball Optical is absolute crap compared to either the kensington or logi though.

It is indeed a very personal choice, but from the dozens of trackballs and hundreds of mice I've used, MS is second rate compared to Logitech. Excluding the low end crap both sell of course.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Should make it to where it can be moved as well. Probably some reason out there to have an app or program for the use. Two ways to control the mouse.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Best trackball ever: Logitech Optical Trackman

No thumb joint stress, back&forward buttons for your browser, and scroll buttons (also includes a scroll wheel, but the buttons are better).

I only wish they'd make it compatible with the macro receiver. The old school desktop receiver was huge, but I liked using the device with my laptop. It's also nice for armchair computing, where a mouse just doesn't work.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
To all the people not agreeing that a trackball isn't as precise as a mouse for FPS games is mistaken. It's actually more precise than you think, but yes, it does take a little bit of training.

The last LAN I went to, was the Showdown LAN in San Jose, CA about 4 years ago. I just happened to be right next to a person that was using a Logitech Trackman Optical. He said it was the best pointing device he has ever used. He was owning people left and right, and even showed me what his 180s looked like and it was pretty damn fast, split-second. Could be wrong, but I actually want to say this guy had carpal tunnel in both his wrists when I was talking to him, he told me. (he had wrist guards on both his wrists) But he was able to use the Trackball with no discomfort.

Also, my neighbor has the older, wired version of this trackball, and can say it's actually a joy to use, even though it's thumb-operated.

Just remember people, this is how the "mouse" started out (to an extent). With the ball on the outside, moving it with ALL your fingers. And if you ask me, using all your fingers, in theory, WOULD be more precise moving your cursor around, than just your wrist. You have to lift your hand off the surface to move forward and backward (on a large resolution display) unlike a trackball that can move in any direction while the device itself is stationary.

karma831

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
Hey I still have one of these older Logitech trackballs (it came in white though). I can't use it with of my modern systems though so its just sitting on the shelf next to a toshiba satellite from 2001.

I've used trackballs for a long long time. I had to switch to a mouse because my last trackball finally died on me and the only ones I see on the market are the stupid *thumb* ones. As an avid trackball user the index and middle finger are better then the thumb for motion with the thumb / ring / pinkie being good for clicking. It sounds weird but once you get used to using it wrist strain goes down to almost nothing.

I have joint problems with my wrist and using a regular mouse for extended period of time cause's wrist cramps and fatigue. I wish more companies would create more variety's of trackballs. And using a trackball with index / middle finger is light-years better then a mouse for FPS. The physical motion required to move around is almost non-existent giving you raster reflex times.

[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]Even if I wanted one... why WIRELESS!?![/citation]

Most people who need a wired connection are gamers. Those who game tend to not use a trackball mouse since its not nearly as accurate.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
It is about time they had an update. Actually, I have found the track-man to be quite popular among my family and clients. Some prefer thumb-trackballs, others finger-trackballs. But all of them prefer the trackball to the mouse because of limited space and the 'spare the wrist, butcher the fingers instead' method.

G

I AM SO HAPPY! I LOVE LOGITECH! Funny that I just filled out a company survey saying how much I love trackballs and have used a Logitech product since 1991. I will be upgrading asap! Awesome news!

joe gamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
[citation][nom]Waethorn[/nom]Best trackball ever: Logitech Optical Trackman No thumb joint stress, back&forward buttons for your browser, and scroll buttons (also includes a scroll wheel, but the buttons are better).I only wish they'd make it compatible with the macro receiver. The old school desktop receiver was huge, but I liked using the device with my laptop. It's also nice for armchair computing, where a mouse just doesn't work.[/citation]

This +1, Why the fork can't they just update the Optical Trackman? The finger interface is much more precise and relaxed then the thumb, I will probably buy one for the HTPC but I'd buy three if they ever updated the damn finger control model.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]Even if I wanted one... why WIRELESS!?![/citation]
One word - laptop!

I've owned the corded version of this model for six years now, and still use it, simply because it is the best in comfort, precision, ergonomics and durability.

I actually wrote an article a while back on my blog about trackballs:

http://lgponthemove.blogspot.com/2009/11/tech-tips-6-trackballs.html

My only wish now is for Logitech to make a BLUETOOTH VERSION (!!!) that I can use without the silly USB dongle. That said, I'll be picking this baby up as soon as it hits retail - the luxury of not having to deal with wires when I'm on the go all day with my notebook/netbook will be sweet!

drethon

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
I own a couple wireless trackmans. I've had one for six years or so now and it still works great. Very precise (except for requiring periodic cleaning of the optic area), the battery runs for a couple of months of heavy use before needing replacement and the multiple functions are great (page forward and back buttons get used all the time).

http://www.staples.com/Logitech-Cordless-Optical-Trackman-Mouse/product_490681?cid=CSE:GoogleBase:Technology:Mice:490681:904369-0403&cm_mmc=GoogleProductAds-_-Search-_-blank-_-blank.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
After reading the above comments i think none of them actually have RSI.
For me the trackman wheel optical and the RX1000 are both needed to keep my RSI manageable. The thing about RSI (Repetitive strain injury)is that it is both caused and triggered by the repetitive unnatural movement of your wrist, fingers and other body part when operating a computer (at least in most cases). Though with rest and exercise it can go away completely in some cases it presents itself as chronic, now to make sure you can actually keep on working (or gaming for some) you have to change position and use your arms wrists and fingers in a slightly different way. Changing between the mouse and the trackman has ensured me a minimum of pain.

Both a mouse and a trackball are bad for us all just like the keyboard and the monitor are far from good for us. Debating which one is the lesser evil is useless. If however you want a quick (took me a few days) and dirty fix for your RSI related pain you could switch though if you dont switch back and forward often both will be making you drop your coffee and pee your pants.

middleagealready

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Love trackball for input, hate logitech support! My grandson removed and misplaced the ball from my own logitech trackman marble plus. I contacted logitech to see if I could order a replacement ball. After sending the part number, model number and serial number the assigned tech still could not identify the device I was using and wanted a picture! Their suggestion was to replace the whole device with a new one, (much taller than the old and irritating to my developing carpal tunnel, I know, I have tried them too), for sixty bucks. Sixty bucks for a small round piece of plastic? No way. I am glad I finally found out where my grandson hid the ball!

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I've used the thumb Trackball for decades (since the first ones came out - I still have an original white one). I've played games (FPS, MMO's and Strategy) and the exact precision is much better than a mouse sliding around on a pad. I can't tell you how many times I see people have to pick up the mouse and put it back down in the center of their mouse pad because it's run off the edge, and to have to do this in the middle of a fast pace game is such a waste of time.

Yes - it takes a bit to get used, to but once you get the feel for it you will never go back. I have one for EVERY computer, laptop and work computer I sit at, and an extra one in my computer bag for working on other peoples PC's. You don't even need a desktop for these, you can rest them on the arm of a chair or even on your leg and use them just as effectively - no flat surface needed (and you don't have to use a pad if you happen to be on a glass top table - which the optical's never work on).

Now for the wireless part - yeah, I wish they'd make a wired version because it never fails that the battery will die right in the middle of a big game boss fight. ;-) But I've been requesting for years that they would put out a "gaming" Trackman with the extra buttons that other gaming mice have.

ratman6161

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
First off, let me say that Logitech isn't "bringing back" the track ball because it never went away. I have found it to be one of those things where there is no in-between i.e. everyone either loves it or hates it. I'm in the love it crowd.

ratman6161

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom][/citation]

I started using my track ball about 7 years ago after a fairly serious fall on my right shoulder while cross country skiing. My shoulder hurt so badly that even the tiny movements of the shoulder required to use a mouse were unbearably painful. I tried going left handed for a while and my coordination with my left hand was so bad it was driving me up the wall. Since I work on a computer all day long, this was a real problem.

Then I discovered track the logitech track balls. It allowed me to rest my elbow on the arm of my chair and hand on the trackball, allowing me to control the cursor with just my thumb and fingers - and most importantly for me - no shoulder movement. This was a huge deal for me at the time. After that I never looked back.

I do have to say though that while I'm not much of a gamer, I do still find a regular mouse better for the limited amount of gaming I doo. But for everything else, long live the track ball!

G

I love trackballs but I hate the thumb controlled ones. If they make a middle/index finger controlled one I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.