[SOLVED] Logitech F710 wireless controller

jtoya85

Honorable
Feb 27, 2018
Does anyone have any ideas about why the dongle for the controller listed above craps out when I reset or cold boot? Device manager says there is something wrong until I remove and replug the receiver. It happens every time the pc reboots or cold boots. I've had it close to a year mostly for driving games that I don't play much of but now the FF7 has the 60fps mod I started playing it again and this problem is rather annoying. I have also tried multiple USB ports.

Solution
I think I may have found a solution, so the controller has a physical toggle for direct input or x-input, I think. While in x-input the controller shows up as an XBox 360 controller, after finding a way to install the driver only from Logitech's Gaming Software and setting the controller to Direct Input it no longer shows up as an XBox 360 controller and still works, it even seems to fix the connectivity. I rebooted my pc after the driver install and I didn't see the erroneous device in device manager, nor any discernable device, yet replaying FF7 everything works perfectly. I'll be back here tomorrow to either mark an answer or rant some more.
Have you installed the manufacturer specific drivers for it or are you riding on the Windows native driver?

It's also possible that Windows is to blame. Do you have automatic driver updates turned off? I tend to prefer to leave them turned on unless it causes problems. Generally these days it doesn't but occasionally it does. What Windows version are you running? If Windows 10, which build version?

jtoya85

Honorable
Feb 27, 2018
okay, this is what I just did in order:
Went to Logitech's site and downloaded the "Wireless Gamepad F710 Connect Utility."
Uninstalled the (malfunctioning)device in device manager.
Started the connection utility.
As per the utility, unplugged the receiver, took out one battery, plugged in the receiver, replaced the battery.
Utility says "Completed" and Device Manager shows an Xbox 360 Controller for Windows in device manager.

I haven't rebooted my pc yet because after seeing that "install" process I distinctly remember doing that at least a couple of times back when I first received the controller. Even though the utility said it was successful and device manager said there was a controller, it still showed it as an Xbox 360 controller like it does now. Driver date is 12/6/2019 but it says the driver provider is Microsoft, doesn't that mean that it just installed the built-in one from Windows 10?

What Windows version are you running? If Windows 10, which build version?
Windows 10 Home Version 21H2 Build 19044.1526

jtoya85

Honorable
Feb 27, 2018
I think I may have found a solution, so the controller has a physical toggle for direct input or x-input, I think. While in x-input the controller shows up as an XBox 360 controller, after finding a way to install the driver only from Logitech's Gaming Software and setting the controller to Direct Input it no longer shows up as an XBox 360 controller and still works, it even seems to fix the connectivity. I rebooted my pc after the driver install and I didn't see the erroneous device in device manager, nor any discernable device, yet replaying FF7 everything works perfectly. I'll be back here tomorrow to either mark an answer or rant some more.

Solution