Logon Password problem

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

We have a NT4 pc which is now only occasionally used. POwered it up this
morning and it will not accept the logon password last used.

Any suggestions as to why this happened and how can the problem be overcome.

TIA
Tom

What particular error do you receive?
"Tom" <Tom@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:
> We have a NT4 pc which is now only occasionally used. POwered it up
this
> morning and it will not accept the logon password last used.
>
> Any suggestions as to why this happened and how can the problem be
overcome.

Troubleshooting:
Is the username correct? Is the CAPS LOCK on?
Are you logging on to the correct domain or local machine?
If you are joined to a domain is the password caching policy set to 0?
Is a domain controller available?
Can you log on using a different user account so you can reset the users's
password or discard the offending profile?

If the symptoms only happen with one user, it may be a corrupted NTUSER.DAT
or profile. (for that user)
If no other solution is found, and NO users can logon, and NO domain is
used, then you may have a corrupted SAM file. You must restore the SAM from
an ERD created with RDISK or from backup.
The file is C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SAM.
This may also happen if there is a problem with the WinLogon System Service
or LSASS SubSystem, although ususally it will result in a STOP error.