Lomac questions

I have an older rig that meets the bare (almost) requirements to play
this sim. I can play the demo and it runs fine on my win98SE. I ordered
the full game and waiting for delivery now. I have the patch 1.02
already dl and will apply before playing.
Having some time I started reading the reviews and discovered
disturbing news.
1. The game won't run on windows98? Uh, oh- the demo runs on it but
the full game won't? Will the patch solve this problem or are they just
wrong. The box says it will run on win98.

2. The reviewer says that even the fastest home computer is not fast
enough to run the game in combat. Even tho the demo runs fine on my
machine, I wonder if I am going to get more than 1 fpm if it runs at
all on a 700 cel.

3. While many people rave about this sim, others rate it poorly. Now I
wonder which way it will go for me. While they say it has a 3 hr.
learning curve, they also say it is very hard to learn and play
(complex). It doesn't appear to be that hard after playing the demo but
they have me thinking about F4 in comparison. Being a seasoned sim
player I would rather keep it at that than devote the rest of my life
learning to be a real pilot on a computer game.
But all this may be mute if it won't even run at all.

Or, am I needlessly fighting a switch to XP from win98SE? Is there any
advantage to do it? Will the older sims still play on XP? Would
everything on my computer have to be reinstalled after the switch? I am
thinking it would like it would after a hd failure.

XP is a must. I cnat imagine running 98 on anything. If youre hardware is
that old then you dont stand much chance of enjoying Lomac. I just re-read
and you slipped in 700MHz celery. Are you fn joking? Are you going to
blame Lomac devs because it doesnt run on a 700Mhz celery?

As for Lomac it requires some tweaks with even fast hardware. Loman (Lomac
Manager) works very well for things like the explosion fix and makes
intall/deiinstall for these fixes quite easy.

It takes a monster rig that is very well optimized to run Lomac, even with
some in game fixes applied. If you meet these requirements then you can
enjoy perhaps the best current era flight sim available and FC is even
better..

If you dont, which it sounds like, then youre in for despair so you may as
well get out with limited expense.

When was the last time "min required" meant "playable" for any sim? Never
in my 20+ years of PC gaming, and Lomac is perhaps one of the worst. Right
up their with GPL and F4 upon release. Could a non accelerated P2-400Mhz
ever expect to run either of those reasonably well?.

You cant expect anything less than 3gig CPU/1gig fast ram along with an
above avg video card (ATI x800/Nvidia6800) to run Lomac well enough to
enjoy.

Saltheart_Foamfollower wrote:
> XP is a must. I cnat imagine running 98 on anything. If youre hardware is
> that old then you dont stand much chance of enjoying Lomac. I just re-read
> and you slipped in 700MHz celery. Are you fn joking? Are you going to
> blame Lomac devs because it doesnt run on a 700Mhz celery?
>
> As for Lomac it requires some tweaks with even fast hardware. Loman (Lomac
> Manager) works very well for things like the explosion fix and makes
> intall/deiinstall for these fixes quite easy.
>
> It takes a monster rig that is very well optimized to run Lomac, even with
> some in game fixes applied. If you meet these requirements then you can
> enjoy perhaps the best current era flight sim available and FC is even
> better..

FANBOIS!

LOL
James

Arizona

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005

LOMAC is quite enjoyable on a system that will run it. I spend far more time
with LOMAC than I do F4.

I have P4 2.8 w/ 1G and a TI-4800SE vid card. I doubt it will run on your
system - especially since you say your system meets most (but not all) of
the minimum specs.

Also, if you think LOMAC is too difficult or complicated, then F4 is not for
you.

Perhaps you should find WW2 sim that will run on your system. Jane's WW2
fighters is a good one that I still spend time on every now and then. You
should be able to find it in the bargain bin for $10 or less.

Arizona

In article <NecJe.74898$gL1.24696@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
someone@somewhere.com (Arizona) wrote:

> Also, if you think LOMAC is too difficult or complicated, then
> F4 is not for you.

Good point, though the Russian cockpits can be very alien for people
who're used to a succession of western aircraft.

Mmm... you know at this rate I may have to boot up the games box for
the first time in weeks and do a little flying. (A two box solution
was a really bad idea. These days if it doesn't run well on the
9800se in this quiet "work" machine I tend not to bother).

Andrew McP

<Stockman91790@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> 1. The game won't run on windows98? Uh, oh- the demo runs on it but
> the full game won't? Will the patch solve this problem or are they just
> wrong. The box says it will run on win98.

XP is the real deal. If your computer won't do XP then get
one that can.

> Or, am I needlessly fighting a switch to XP from win98SE? Is there any
> advantage to do it? Will the older sims still play on XP?

I believe so YES.

--

gcisko@hotmail.com

> everything on my computer have to be reinstalled after the switch? I am
> thinking it would like it would after a hd failure.

Carl

I used to run ME and XP in a dual boot, a while later I realized that I
wasn't using ME at all, XP is better.