Question London Drugs - Certfied Data HandyTab - won't start up

Jun 1, 2019
My mother-in-law purchased a Certified Data HandyTab (London Drugs brand, Canada eh?), model #WCBT1122. It was pretty cool when we bought it as it has a detachable LCD screen you can use as a touch screen tablet. It is likely some type of Chinese model that London Drugs stamped with the "Certified Data" label on it and called it theirs. I can't find much info on it when I Google it (must be discontinued, it doesn't show up on the London Drugs or Certified Data website at all): YouTube video showing it off: Certified Data HandyTab 10 & 11 Tablet Computers

My problem: I can get the machine to boot to the BIOS screen by hitting "DEL" during boot-up, but I can't seem to get it to boot into windows. I took the machine to the same London Drugs store where she bought the machine for advice but they couldn't tell me much other than that they could have a look at the machine for a fee (I want to fix it myself).

I'm wanting to get it up and running but at a minimum, I want to be able to get her data off the machine. I can't even figure out how to open it up to see if I can pull out the hard drive for data recovery purposes. I took out all the screws I can find but I can't seem to open it up. I don't even know where the hard drive is - keyboard section or screen section?

Does anyone know anything about this tablet/notebook? It appears to have a Windows install problem. It says it's trying to repair the install and is diagnosing as it is booting up... it then sits at the "Automatic Repair" screen where it states "Your PC did not start correctly"...

Comments/suggestions anyone?

USAFRet

Titan
That looks like a cheesy knock off of an Asus Transformer.

Unlikely there is a "hard drive" in there that you can take out. It is almost certainly an eMMC 'drive', soldered directly to the motherboard.

What OS was it running? Win 8 or Win 10?

Jun 1, 2019
That looks like a cheesy knock off of an Asus Transformer.

Unlikely there is a "hard drive" in there that you can take out. It is almost certainly an eMMC 'drive', soldered directly to the motherboard.

What OS was it running? Win 8 or Win 10?
Thanks for responding! It's running Windows 10.

I just tried to "Reset this PC" without removing personal files, but it came up with the following message: "Reset This PC - There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."

Any suggestions?

Jun 1, 2019
Sounds like there is some hardware fault.

From some other working system, create a Win 10 install USB.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

See if it will boot from that.
If it does, you might be able to access the storage, and maybe get some sort of connectivity to elsewhere to retrieve what data you need from it.

What, exactly, are you wanting to retrieve?
Great advice! I'm trying to recover her photos, etc...

USAFRet

Titan
And when/if/maybe you recover there photos, or even if you don't...whatever device you get to replace this, please please please institute a good backup routine.
No matter if it the cheesiest crappy knockoff tablet thing, or a $10k uber PC...all storage is subject to fail.
Backups are cheap.

Jun 1, 2019
And when/if/maybe you recover there photos, or even if you don't...whatever device you get to replace this, please please please institute a good backup routine.
No matter if it the cheesiest crappy knockoff tablet thing, or a $10k uber PC...all storage is subject to fail.
Backups are cheap.
I hear you, backups are important - I wish we had something set up on her machine.

I was looking at this link that gives 3 solutions: (How to Fix "There was a problem resetting your PC - No changes were made):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgNcM7nl9RI

I'm going to give them a try. Command prompt stuff like SFC...