London Rolling Out Europe's Largest Free WiFi Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]farrengottu[/nom]sounds nice except for Britain isn't part of Europe. just like Japan isn't part of Asia, and Madagascar isn't part of Africa.[/citation]
Yes, but we're part of the EU.

The one thing I'm concerned about is the fact that O2 are the ones running it, the very same company who had a major 24 hour outage a couple of weeks back. Still, we're getting a 10% rebate in September's bill plus a £10 voucher to use in their stores, so it's not all bad, but I digress.

In any case, the UK may not be as financially secure as it needs to be, but it looks as if O2 (part of Telefonica, a very large Spanish telecommunications company for those who didn't know) are footing the entire bill, so the point is moot.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]Yes, but we're part of the EU.The one thing I'm concerned about is the fact that O2 are the ones running it, the very same company who had a major 24 hour outage a couple of weeks back. Still, we're getting a 10% rebate in September's bill plus a £10 voucher to use in their stores, so it's not all bad, but I digress.In any case, the UK may not be as financially secure as it needs to be, but it looks as if O2 (part of Telefonica, a very large Spanish telecommunications company for those who didn't know) are footing the entire bill, so the point is moot.[/citation]
The UK is on the continent of Europe, and part of the EU, but is not in the Eurozone, so it doesn't have the same failed currency. The £ is doing just fine thanks and even if the taxpayer did foot the bill, the Olympics is going to pull some serious revenue from tourists over the next month or so, talking billions here

Except, knowing that IOC is very corrupt, they'll probably take payments in other forms...such as personal information, and advertising.

.....wait a minute, sounds exactly like what Google does.

bobolibob

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Yeah, I'd be surprised if they weren't trying to monetize it any way they can. Look for injecting ads through NXDOMAIN and SERVFAIL DNS redirects, 404 rewriting, etc.

It's perfectly within their right to do so if they want...it's a free service and it's got to be paid for somehow. Although I'd definitely be interested to see some Netalyzr results from the free London Olympics Wi-Fi.

altriss

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
[citation][nom]farrengottu[/nom]sounds nice except for Britain isn't part of Europe. just like Japan isn't part of Asia, and Madagascar isn't part of Africa.[/citation]
What's wrong with you guy?
-> geology: Britain is on the same continent than Europe
-> history: since the roman Empire Britain shares its history with France, Germany, Spain...
-> economy: even without being part of the euro zone, UK belongs to E.U.

That post gave me cancer...

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]The UK is on the continent of Europe, and part of the EU, but is not in the Eurozone, so it doesn't have the same failed currency. The £ is doing just fine thanks and even if the taxpayer did foot the bill, the Olympics is going to pull some serious revenue from tourists over the next month or so, talking billions here[/citation]
I know this; I'm British, I spend pounds and pence. :)

G

what does currency have to do with being in "europe" ?
im from norway, we're not part of the EU, we dont use euros. but i still live in europe.
wouldnt expect anyone from usa to understand anything otuside their own country anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.