Long-Awaited Windows RT 8.1 Update Lands, Nobody Cares

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Honestly my iPad 2 is collecting dust. An unusable slow device that is both storage and ram limited that even my children shun.
It didn't start out so useless but it got steadily worse.

I'm sure the surface rt is similarly slow and lousy at this point but the iPad 2 isn't awesome. Plus I remember when Google/apple pulled the youtube app and to be honest it's been years and youtube has never been as good on the iPad as it was originally.

Actually a Surface RT performs the same as it did when it first came out. Maybe better in some regards. It was never exactly fast, but in some regards just holding performance steady through the updates has allowed it to outstrip other devices with similar processors. Many of which bog down under newer iterations of their respective OS. There are also tweaks you can perform to speed it up a bit.

Again, the only thing it could really have used this late in it's lifecycle would be Edge.

littleleo,
I can't believe I'm saying this, but you aren't exactly correct on the EGG answer. There is no answer. That's the nature of evolution, it's a series of incredibly minor changes applied over vast periods of time.

You might as well ask when "life" actually started because there's no dividing line there either.

Quoting the Matrix, ooo, lol. I believe in baby pigeons thou I've never seen one and I believe in gravity but you can't see it just it's affect. I believe in air but you can't see it either. I believe there is intelligent life out there just not in the Tea Party or in the GOPs 2016 candidates.

So how did we get here from the Windows RT update?

Sorry Photo, I was a Bio Major for 5 years and also and Anthropology major that is what it is. Yes the answer is simplified the changes can be very minor or major, and take thousands of generations or just a few there is no way to be sure with mutations. As you know the mutations don't also be come evident until the environment changes enough to make them obvious.

friendly1013

Reputable
Sep 26, 2015
If no one is there to hear the sound, there is no sound. There is a compression wave in the air, but for that phenomenon to be interpreted as sound, someone or something has to receive and interpret the data. This differs slightly from light which is actually a beam of energy. It is similar in that it only becomes light when interpreted as such. Until being seen, it is just energy.

Thayjeff

Reputable
Sep 27, 2015
Seth, you're an angry man. Your silly op ed piece shows what its like to like in a tech bubble like you do. Win RT is a perfectly serviceable OS for us living in the real world. I own an RT device and it does exactly as advertised. Does it run Photoshop? No, but who does that? Buy a $300 tablet and hope to run professional grade editing software? My Mazda doesn't haul ass like a Porsche either but its not supposed to.

You can do better.

Joshua M Below

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
I bought a Windows Surface RT on launch day because I was super excited! I don't regret the purchase but within 3 months of owning it, it become my sole "adult" viewer. There is really nothing else it's good for. I don't need an update, it can't do anything else well anyhow. :p

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Agree to disagree. I purchased a WinRT device for personal use at one point and found the experience awful. (I just wanted it for light word processing and Internet browsing.) I had my hands on some other WinRT devices later and found them similarly disappointing.

FWIW, Chromebooks filled that void for me very nicely.

But if you're happy with a WinRT device, far be it from me to convince you otherwise.

to me winRT is just for people looking for a tablet or laptop just for web surfing and maybe some word processing. if you are looking to do anything else it sucks. especially if you are looking at an alternative to an IOS or android device since app support for windows is just as bad as blackberry OS

In nature there is always something there, perhaps insects but something is always there so there is always sound by your definition. I believe there is sound whether we are there to hear it or not and to say there is no sound because man or woman isn't there to hear it is just ridiculous and arrogant.

I'm curious can your device upgrade to Windows 10, and if it can are you planning too?

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Windows RT devices can't upgrade to Windows 10. As noted in the article, they get the new menu, and that's pretty much it.

Status
Not open for further replies.