long beep under load

wheeler522

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Hello everyone, I've never had to ask a question on this site as I have always found my questions already answered. But for this problem I am having trouble finding a solution so I decided to ask for some help :)

So a few months ago I upgraded my gpu from an EVGA 770 to a MSI R9-390 due to upgrading my monitors to a triple surround setup and the games that I wanted to play were on the demanding side. So as soon as I plugged the card in and started playing Shadows of Mordor a long continuous beep came out of (I believe) the motherboard). I tried Crysis 3 and the same, MSI Kombuster and even Firestrike. The beep started immediately upon startup. So I did some searching and some suggestions was that my power supply was on its last leg (was a 750w EVGA supernova bronze). It made sense to me since the 390 is power hungry.

So I avoided playing the games it happened on... I played Borderlands pre-sequel, and Skyrim (no problems). I have been planning on doing full liquid cooling on my system for a while so I decided to change my system around a bit. I bought a new PSU (Corsair AX760 platinum) and two asus 970OC cards (since the 390 doesn't have a full waterblock made for it). So I did everything and now I can play shadows of mordor fine but the rest of the games haven't changed.

I have watched my temps: at idle the cpu and the GPU's runs in the upper 20's C, When starting intensive games/programs the temps start to go up into the 40's C before I shut it off. I recorded the temps while I ran tests and it never gets anywhere close to 70 C, granted I only ran the test for a minute due to being afraid something will fry... I monitor my temps using Asus's thermal radar on AI suite II, CPUID HWMonitor, and Asus GPU Tweak to monitor the graphics cards.

I have ran Memtest86 and found no errors.

The only thing I can think of is either my motherboard or cpu is going bad, or there is a warning temp threshold that is set too low and is sounding the alarm-if so how can I change this?

I am at wits end and don't know where to go next, Any suggestions, thoughts, or links would be greatly appreciated. :)

My system is as follows:
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Asus Z77 Sabertooth Motherboard
Intel Core I-5 3570K (not overclocked) (liquid Cooled with EK waterblock)
2 Asus GTX970 OC strix (liquid cooled with EK waterblocks)
Corsair Vengeance 16gb ddr3 1600mhz RAM
Corsair AX760 PSU
3 Seagate 1TB HDD 7200
Samsung EVO 850 500gb SSD
3 ASUS MX279H 27" IPS monitors
Water blocks installed using provided EK ectotherm thermal paste

I hope I listed all relevant info

wheeler522

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Figured it out! so simple... My computer is plugged into a battery backup/surge protector and that is what is making the beep. I hope this helps someone else in the future!!!

ubhkid

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Randomly stumbled here while trying to help my friend overclock his new rig and this turned out to be the beep we were hearing... not the motherboard! Thanks for posting this!