Long power up time?

Flamzy

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012
I'm having a very strange issue following the cleaning of a PC with a hoover (which I've been informed could be the cause of the issues, although it did not touch anything but was used to suck away dust blown up by compressed air) but have also installed an SSD at the same time and put a fresh copy of windows on it. The computer has an intermittent power up speed, by which I mean after pressing the power button the fans and disks power up, but the computer does not begin booting for anywhere between 5 and 30 seconds. Once it does it may or may not hang at the bios prompt or the windows is starting (before the logo forms) for 10-20 seconds each.

So far I have tried unplugging the unit and holding the power button in to discharge static as that's what my internet searches suggested could be the problem. I have also changed the sata locations used to install the new device and have tried removing it from the system to no effect, and have checked that every connection internally is secure.

I would appreciate any insight!

An update!

The hanging at the windows logo seems to have been a windows issue, reinstalling with all other discs unplugged seems to have fixed it. The power up time issue seems to be related to what's plugged in - with the two HDDs (not SSD) unpowered the computer has ~4-5 seconds of powerlessness before it powers up proper, whereas it takes ~20-25 with both drives plugged in.

Is this the result of an underpowered PSU? It is a 480W supporting 2 500gb drives, 1 SSD, 1 optical, the gfx card on board does not require extra power beyond the PCI-E.

Thanks for any replies

More info!!

I hear making sure the SSD is above the regular drives in the boot order is important. In the bios when the disks are all plugged in the SSD doesn't appear anywhere to place above the regular drives?

Flamzy

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012

Interesting! I think I may have found the solution in-part, it still is a bit slow but putting the SSD above the other drives in the startup helped - but could the initial 5-10 second lag between pressing the power button and it booting be the PSU? Thank you for your suggestion.