[SOLVED] Long range home WiFi setup

Oct 16, 2021
Hello,
I have a large propety that i need to cover with Wifi internet from my home.
I got a Hawking HAO15SIP 2.4GHz antenna https://www.hawkingtech.com/product/hao15sip/

and when i hook it up to a router i get about the same distance as the wifi router in our basement.
When emailing Hawking they say i need the following upgrade
HOW12ACM, https://www.hawkingtech.com/product/outdoor-wifi-ac1300-access-point-extender-poe-how12acm/
And
HPOE2, https://www.hawkingtech.com/product/poe-gigabit-ethernet-injector-hpoe2/

So what i need to do is cover about 600 feet around are home to other buildings, shop, pump shed, and a second house.

i was wondering if there is anyone that knows if the above setup is good or if it is and old system? Or if there is something better out there?

each time i talk or email Hawking i get different answers or i need to get something different!

So can i get some honest help please??

Thank You

Solution
Pretty much the short answer is you can't without putting in a lot of equipment.

The reason it work the same is the router is only 1/2 the connection. First that antenna is illegal to use in most countries you are massively exceeding the allowed output power. Next you did not change the antenna on the remote devices. The signal might be able to get from the router to the end device but the signal coming back is still lower power and being absorbed by stuff in the path.

What hawking recommended is to add a outdoor AP. A AP is nothing but a wifi radio that is connected via ethernet cable. That is actually you best option. You run ethernet cables to all the remote locations and then put in a AP in each to get the wifi...
Pretty much the short answer is you can't without putting in a lot of equipment.

The reason it work the same is the router is only 1/2 the connection. First that antenna is illegal to use in most countries you are massively exceeding the allowed output power. Next you did not change the antenna on the remote devices. The signal might be able to get from the router to the end device but the signal coming back is still lower power and being absorbed by stuff in the path.

What hawking recommended is to add a outdoor AP. A AP is nothing but a wifi radio that is connected via ethernet cable. That is actually you best option. You run ethernet cables to all the remote locations and then put in a AP in each to get the wifi This seldom is the a option since most people do not have ethernet cables run.

You could try point to point wifi bridges to run between the buildings and then connect AP to the far end.

This all depends on how much money you want to spend and how serious you are about getting a solution. It will not be cheap or simple.

Solution
Hello,
I have a large propety that i need to cover with Wifi internet from my home.
I got a Hawking HAO15SIP 2.4GHz antenna https://www.hawkingtech.com/product/hao15sip/

and when i hook it up to a router i get about the same distance as the wifi router in our basement.
When emailing Hawking they say i need the following upgrade
HOW12ACM, https://www.hawkingtech.com/product/outdoor-wifi-ac1300-access-point-extender-poe-how12acm/
And
HPOE2, https://www.hawkingtech.com/product/poe-gigabit-ethernet-injector-hpoe2/

So what i need to do is cover about 600 feet around are home to other buildings, shop, pump shed, and a second house.

i was wondering if there is anyone that knows if the above setup is good or if it is and old system? Or if there is something better out there?

each time i talk or email Hawking i get different answers or i need to get something different!

So can i get some honest help please??

Thank You

It will help to have a map (layout) of the area to be covered.

The easiest way is with PoE.

You could use the electrical wiring to extend your WiFi Internet to any area.
Of course, all locations need power and the power should be linked.

You could place a PoE (Power over Ethernet) Wi-Fi access point plug into an outlet on each location.

Also a main PoE adapter connected to your existing modem or router in a central location electrical outlet.

Another simple way is to run an Ethernet cable to each location from a router or switch and the place a WiFi access point at each location.

I performed a setup in a larger area with outdoor weatherproof access points (WAVLINK AC600)
I installed 6 access points, but I think 4 will have been enough.

I got a Netgear 8-Port Gigabit PoE Switch (GS108PP) and ran Ethernet cables to the access points.
I placed the access point on trees and lamp posts.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021
Thanks for the replies!
I can't run Ethernet cable, I can't run it underground because of the sprinkler system and two underground power lines.
We had a company come out and installed Viasat satellite internet when i got tired of having to mess with that junky hughesnet internet service, and one of the installers told me about this hawking antenna and one of there customers had this setup on his farm and they got just over a quarter of a mile radious.
I tried to ask what all he had to do but all I got was a hawking antenna, so that is what i got.
think of a half moon shape for the property with the main house with the internet on one end and the shop the farthest away about 300 feet.
I really do not want to spend a lot of $$$ on this, as it is I got over 200 bucks into this antenna and the cable for it
So would the HOW12ACM Outdoor WiFi AC1300 Access Point Extender and this The HPOE2 is a Power over Ethernet (PoE) Injector make this antenna work??
or would a wavelink ac1200 high power outdoor wifi range extender and a high power POE be better???
I am limited of what i can do and do not want to spend a lot in doing this.
i know if you have money to burn you can get anything done, i just don't have a money tree in my yard
the government took it!!

It will help to have a map (layout) of the area to be covered.

The easiest way is with PoE.

You could use the electrical wiring to extend your WiFi Internet to any area.
Of course, all locations need power and the power should be linked.

You could place a PoE (Power over Ethernet) Wi-Fi access point plug into an outlet on each location.

Also a main PoE adapter connected to your existing modem or router in a central location electrical outlet.

Another simple way is to run an Ethernet cable to each location from a router or switch and the place a WiFi access point at each location.

I performed a setup in a larger area with outdoor weatherproof access points (WAVLINK AC600)
I installed 6 access points, but I think 4 will have been enough.

I got a Netgear 8-Port Gigabit PoE Switch (GS108PP) and ran Ethernet cables to the access points.
I placed the access point on trees and lamp posts.

Point to point or point to multipoint would be a solution but again depends on your budget, Have a look at Ubiquiti equipment

You can get much cheaper equipment from ubiquiti....well they sell extremely expensive stuff too. They sell outdoor AP as well as a number of point to point systems.

There is no magic to this. The radio signal only go so far because they are absorbed by the water vapor in the air. The signal levels you are allowed to transmit are restricted by the government. You can buy illegal antenna like you have but it does little good unless you can somehow hook one of those to your cell phone. Both ends of the connection must be able to send and receive data.

The solution is to put in more wifi sources that are more evenly spread. In a house you would put in AP on every floor.

In theory at least you could put a outdoor AP on a high pole in the middle of the yard and it would cover a large area. The problem is the signal only goes so far and if you expect it to go though exterior walls of a building it goes even less. The other problem is you must still have a ethernet cable run to the ap to provide the network. Since you also need power for the unit you use PoE injectors that let you carry both the data and power over the same cable. PoE is purely a method of getting power to the unit it does little else.

For most people they do not have ethernet cables where they want. Now I guess you could go crazy and use battery and solar power and then use some form of wifi bridge instead of ethenet but the costs go up and up. You would still likely need mulitple outdoor AP depending on the exact layout.

Your best option to get signals between buildings are wireless bridges. There are very many of these and if you are willing to pay huge money you can get even gigabit speeds at many miles distance.

To start with I would look at ubiquiti nano station loco. These cost about $50 each and will work great at the short distance you have. You must have clear line of sight between the 2 locations. You need to be above any obstruction and not have trees or other stuff in the way.

Thanks for the replies!
I can't run Ethernet cable, I can't run it underground because of the sprinkler system and two underground power lines.
That is exactly what I used to run the Ethernet cables the underground powerline conduits.
Since there were pipes with powerlines I used them to run Ethernet cables using the same pipes.
But you might not be up to the task, since you might need to purchase and use fish tape to run the wires.

We had a company come out and installed Viasat satellite internet when i got tired of having to mess with that junky hughesnet internet service, and one of the installers told me about this hawking antenna and one of there customers had this setup on his farm and they got just over a quarter of a mile radious.
Antennas do not make power, they just send radio waves, so for a high gain antenna to work properly it also needs a high gain router, access point or bridge. The installer might not have given you all the info required.

Maybe you should consider powerline networking instead.
The beauty of powerline networking is that it can use the electrical infrastructure already in place to deliver data. So all you need is an AC outlet at each end... so you could make any AC outlet into a WiFi access point.

The installation is very simple.
A powerline network kit requires both, a sender unit near where your main router is located and a receiver unit(s) where you need it.
TP-Link AV1300 WiFi Powerline kit