Jun 19, 2019
I have having a variety of issues with my computer so I did a clean install of Windows 10, however it seems a large problem has carried over, making me think it may be hardware related. Whenever I try to shutdown my computer, it stays on the 'shutting down' screen for 5-10 minutes before BSOD to DRIVER_STATE_POWER_FAILURE error. The accompanying problem is the BSOD is stuck at 0% so I don't get any dump, so I am unable to analyze it with WhoCrashed. I used Driver Verifier which did catch the crash but was also stuck at 0%. Also sometimes on boot I get stuck in a windows loading circle forever so a force shutdown is required and boots normally following that.

Specs are as follows:
i7-7700k
gtx 1070
z270m-itx
16GB (2x8) DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws V
samsung 850 evo 1TB

Solution
1. Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

2. Generally that is caused by an older driver so how about running driverview - all it does is lists drivers running. When you run it, go into view and set it to hide all microsoft drivers as its not likely to be one of them - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html - upload a screenshot to a image sharing website and...

Colif

Win 11 Master
1. Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

2. Generally that is caused by an older driver so how about running driverview - all it does is lists drivers running. When you run it, go into view and set it to hide all microsoft drivers as its not likely to be one of them - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html - upload a screenshot to a image sharing website and show link here.

3. Try turning fast startup off - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html - it might reduce the BSOD from occuring as its likely a driver that doesn't like Win 10 new powerr schemes. Win 10 by default isn't off when you shut it down, it goes into a hybrid hibernate. It speeds up startup on hdd, but as you have an ssd it won't help and is possibly causing BSOD.

4. Have you run the Asrock App SHop on the motherboard? It will confirm you do have latest drivers - can find it on here: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z270M-ITXac/index.asp#Download

What peripherals do you have? it might be caused by a USB device as well. I have seen this a lot with them.

Last edited:
Solution
Jun 19, 2019
I have tried booting my pc without any peripherals plugged in and then shutting down by pressing the power button, it still BSOD. I also have fast startup off. I have tried some memory dumps but I will follow the specific instructions you gave me as well as everything else you listed when I get home later today.

Jun 19, 2019
The issue seems to have gone away! When I used App Shop to install driver updates, my computer restarted successfully twice in a row while performing those updates, and Shutting my computer down is working fine itself! Really not sure what caused it, but thank you for the help! My best guess is my LAN adapter drivers which were updated before the first restart although I would think it'd take one restart to apply?

The only other thing is I did change the USB slots I was using for my peripherals so it could've been that. Thanks again!

Edit: I'd like to add while using Driver Booster I've noticed suddenly there are about 4 driver updates related to my keyboard, both model specific and general keyboard drivers, so it seems like my keyboard was working but not being recognized properly and thus causing crashes?

Last edited: