[SOLVED] Long start-up time for a really good pc, how to fix?

Cxrter

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
So I got this pc under a year ago, specs are gtx 1080 i7 8700k 240gb ssd 2tb hdd msi z370 gaming mb nzxt kraken x62 32gb corsair ddr4 ram
When I turn on the pc it does the loading screen of the msi logo, then it goes to a black screen with a little white loading symbol at the bottom of the screen, I know it shouldn't be doing this, as it used to start up very quickly but now it doesn't, when I go on task manager it says the bios start up time was 20.9 seconds when it used to be 8 seconds, let me know any tips that you have in order to make it go back to the way that it was.

Solution
This

"I recently put another 16gb ddr4 ram in, thinking about it, this has occurred ever since then, my system said there was 32gb on my pc after I installed it so I thought everything was fine, do I nee dot do something, if so, what?"

Double check the RAM module specs. Even if the RAM modules appear identical they may not be working well together as a dual channel configuration. Refer to the computer's motherboard User Guide/Manual for the supported RAM and RAM configurations.

Ralston18

Titan
OS? Windows 10: edition and version?

No beeps or error LEDs?

Is the computer's performance normal after it does complete boot up?

How full is that 240 GB SSD?

Any known hardware or software changes?

Have you run the applicable SSD and HDD diagnostics on the drives? (As always, ensure that all important data is backed up and verified recoverable and readable.)

Open the case and ensure that all components and cables are fully and firmly seated.

Cxrter

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
OS? Windows 10: edition and version?

No beeps or error LEDs?

Is the computer's performance normal after it does complete boot up?

How full is that 240 GB SSD?

Any known hardware or software changes?

Have you run the applicable SSD and HDD diagnostics on the drives? (As always, ensure that all important data is backed up and verified recoverable and readable.)

Open the case and ensure that all components and cables are fully and firmly seated.

Windows 10 pro
computer performance is good no errors or anything like that, good fps in games
ssd has 139 gb left on it, I am gonna upgrade to a 1tb soon though as well as a m.2 drive for windows, the 240gb ssd obviously has windows on it
I recently put another 16gb ddr4 ram in, thinking about it, this has occurred ever since then, my system said there was 32gb on my pc after I installed it so I thought everything was fine, do I nee dot do something, if so, what?
no I haven't but I'm going to do that now
all wires are completely fine I made sure of it when I built it
I have ssd life, it says my disk is completely healthy
thanks for the reply :)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
This

"I recently put another 16gb ddr4 ram in, thinking about it, this has occurred ever since then, my system said there was 32gb on my pc after I installed it so I thought everything was fine, do I nee dot do something, if so, what?"

Double check the RAM module specs. Even if the RAM modules appear identical they may not be working well together as a dual channel configuration. Refer to the computer's motherboard User Guide/Manual for the supported RAM and RAM configurations.

Reactions: Cxrter
Solution

Cxrter

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
This

Ok thank you

Cxrter

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
This

I did everything i can, in the end i reinstalled windows and it fixed it, must of have been something wrong within windows i guess, an update or something? Meaning i have to reinstall everything which is annoying but at least my start up is fast again! Thanks for the help apprechiate it!