Look Out, Microsoft: Oculus' Rift Bundle Is Now Permanently $399

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Ocuclus. Until the price approaches $250, I'm not interested.
VR is still in its infancy and until the average user can comfortably afford it-along with the cost of the apps or games - the segment will stagnate.
There is great potential here and I hope the price does moderate because I'd love to try one.

Antichrist

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I love the VR I've tried, but I want to wait for better games on it. Hopefully the Fallout and Skyrim ports work out well in VR. I'll probably wait for something like a second generation Vive to be affordable, hopefully there's a lot more content by then.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

Oculus Go is the mid-range VR system at your price point. High end VR will likely be more than $250 for a long time as they improve resolution and add wireless. Lots of people want the best experience rather than the lowest price.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/oculus-standale-vr-headset-announcements,35662.html

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

The price has already come down from $599 for the Rift + $199 for the Touch controllers to $399 for both in less than a year.
$399 is not very expensive at all for technology. displays often cost more than that. many GPUs cost more than that, and many CPUs cost more than that. And game consoles are usually in this price range.
$399 is within the grasp of most people who desire VR. That's around the same price point that MS and its six partners are targeting for Windows MR headsets, too.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

This sounds rather arbitrary, given how much some people spend on gaming monitors, controllers, GPUs, and let's not forget consoles.

although Microsoft appears to believe in its mixed reality efforts, losing the price advantage--and just before its launch on October 17--was a blow.
They still have one huge advantage: no external cameras or light houses.

Oculus shouldn't really care, as long as their software can support MS' hardware. The main thing each of these guys wants is for consumers to use their SW ecosystem & store. Here, MS has another advantage - by having lower GPU requirements, they can effectively block some customers from using Windows MR devices with Oculus' portal.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Is this a typo saying the HTC Vive is $500 for the full bundle? I've seen it drop to $599 but not to $499. Can you direct if this is true?

hannibal

Distinguished
Yep. It is like in phones. High end vr will always be expensive aka 600-1000 and middle range 300-400 and lo end 150-250. So you can Expect 250 devices with low resolution, slow cpu and so on. Just like in phones.
So there definitely will be those cheap options too, if you need those.

bloodroses

Distinguished
Until something like this

https://www.starvr.com/

becomes a reasonable price (along with the hardware needed to power it), I'm holding off on VR. Without the FOV and resolution to back it, it just feels like an interactive projector screen to me. Give it a few generations.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
@bloodroses there is the pixma 8k (3840*2160, FOV:220 ) (which is not a real 8k, because the cable didnot support more than 5k of transfert) and a pixma 8ks (or x) which will be true 8K.
the problem: you need a huge PC.
apparently the StarVR will have a bad resolution of 5120 * 1440, this is far away from a good resolution for a large FOV. Specialy the vertical resolution of 1440 which is a critical one. as per Samsung Odyssey's early tester, a resolution of 1440 * 1600 offers a noticable difference from a 1440*1440.
The StarVR didnt describe the type of screen, LCD will be a bad choice for a top VR, they have to offer an OLED system.
so finally... dont put your expectations too high on StarVR until they use a better vertical resolution and OLED screens.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
we can see the Microsoft effect. Oculus aligns its pricing to the other devices. but did not improve the current one, which is sad. I expect to see a Rift 2.0 with a better resolution and improved FOV, but they dont want to be the best VR headset anymore. but for now the price is good, as we are limited with the installation of external sensors, and personaly I want to bring my headset with me at work, so not possible with Oculus. (again thanks Microsoft, Oculus will deliver another headset using inside-out technology)

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

You're correct. Fixed now.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Two, in fact.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/oculus-standale-vr-headset-announcements,35662.html

And we don't know that they don't care about the high-end PC-based HMD. My guess (and hope) is that they're working on a wireless PC HMD that's simply not yet ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS