[SOLVED] Looking at buying a completely second hand system

KingC12

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
So im looking at buying all second hand parts and building a PC with them as a project and also just to have a gaming system again. All i want is a system that can play mainly esport titles aswell as a few single player games here and there. I am not aiming for 4k or 1440p gaming, as i only have a 1080p 144hz monitor that i would like to get full use out of.

The system im looking at currently is:

CPU:1800X
CASE: Any nice looking budget case i can find
MOBO: B450 TOMAHAWK
RAM: Corsair 3200MHz RAM
GPU: Im either looking at the RX 580/90 depending on which one i can get the better deal on, or for a bit more the 1660S or the 1660TI
PSU: Any 500W power supply that wont brick the system and provide good power

What do you think of this system? Will it get the performance im aiming for? and for how long would it be able to do it? Im going to be buying the next gen xbox for my more serious gaming (better price to performance for what im looking for) and my pc for esports titles and browsing.

Thanks in advance

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
With those GPU's it's not going to make a lot of difference to be honest - there is an argument that 8 cores / 16 threads is a better long term investment for running future titles (especially considering all the next gen consoles at using that config for the cpu - I can see the 3300X being a limit fairly quickly).

I would argue though the 1800X is only worth it if you can get a deal on one, the 1700X and 1700 will hit the same clock speed with a decent air cooler.

Also, don't expect to hit 3200 mhz on the ram with a first gen Ryzen cpu - it's possible on some motherboards but it's highly dependent on the type of modules used. Most kits will run at 2667, maybe 2933 if you are lucky - check the motherboard memory QVL lists for that mobo and cpu combo and you might find a 3200 mhz kit that will work (typically these must be based on Samsung B -Die memory, so you need to be careful of the exact model number to be sure).

Also for that level of graphics performance you have a few options to consider if you are looking to get a good deal...

The GTX 1070 and 1080 cards offer similar performance to the 1660 series, whilst a 6gb 1060 is roughly on par with the RX 580 / 90 cards. The previous gen GTX 980 ti is also in that performance bracket, as are Vega 56 / 64 cards and even pervious gen Fury cards are worth considering - I'm not saying any of these are specifically better or worse options but are in the same performance category, so worth looking out for if you can get a good deal on one second hand.

Notice how he's going for mostly eSports titles?

They are mostly CPU heavy, and that makes the 1800X a bad choice compared to the 3300X for way worse single core performance (which many of these games still utilize).

As of now, and for the next few years, the 4c/8t configuration of a Ryzen 3 3100 or 3300X will be more than enough for competitive gaming, and after that, you can have all the cores you want on an 1800X, there will be better options available. So no, I don't think the 1st gen Ryzen 7 processors can be recommended for gaming in any case.

About the GPUs:
The RX 580 is enough for high-performance eSports gaming today. The AMD RX Vega and Fury cards, however, would require a way higher-tier power supply, since they take a lot of power.

By the way, this is a duplicate thread.

Last edited:
With that kind of setup you should expect to game a Med. on most current games and High/Very High on some older or less demanding games. If you're going used you should also keep in mind an overclocked 480 8GB (if it's like $80) or an overclocked 1060 6GB. I got a used MSI 580 8GB for my wife's PC last year for a little over $100 to pair with a Ryzen 1600 and it's been running fine with VR games and everything else at 1080P. Spend a little on a decent CPU cooler so you can overclock the 1800X to get some more out of it.

Reactions: cdrkf
The GTX 1070 and 1080 cards offer similar performance to the 1660 series, whilst a 6gb 1060 is roughly on par with the RX 580 / 90 cards. The previous gen GTX 980 ti is also in that performance bracket, as are Vega 56 / 64 cards and even pervious gen Fury cards are worth considering - I'm not saying any of these are specifically better or worse options but are in the same performance category, so worth looking out for if you can get a good deal on one second hand.

Not true at all??
The 1080 is around the level of the 2060 super-2070 non super.
The 1070 is around the 2060 non super.

The 1660 super/Ti are slower than both, but still higher than the 1060.
The normal 1660 is around the level of the 1060 6gig
Then lower stuff is lower.
With that kind of setup you should expect to game a Med. on most current games and High/Very High on some older or less demanding games. If you're going used you should also keep in mind an overclocked 480 8GB (if it's like $80) or an overclocked 1060 6GB. I got a used MSI 580 8GB for my wife's PC last year for a little over $100 to pair with a Ryzen 1600 and it's been running fine with VR games and everything else at 1080P. Spend a little on a decent CPU cooler so you can overclock the 1800X to get some more out of it.
Waste of money.
Use that "little more money" on a better cpu instead of a better cooler.