Looking for a budget Hi-fi system

triplestack92

Proper
Mar 15, 2018
Hey, i recently bought a new qled 4k tv for my living room, and i really wanted to push the home cinema effect, i want a good hifi sound system but have no knowledge what so ever within sound.

I was kinda looking at going for a 5.1 sound system, or is a soundbar just the way to go now?

i was looking at these:
https://www.avforums.com/review/wharfedale-dx-2-home-cinema-speaker-package-review.14592

They seem good to what i know and reviews are great but im assuming i will also need a AV Receiver of some sort?

I am not going for a full studio with the best stuff, just something to give the audio a little more of a cinema feel

Jan 23, 2019
U may get a cheap and good av receiver such as denon or onkyo. Then hook up the product in the link u provided to the av receiver. 5.1 would be awesome. If that's not your way to go, then a 2.1 soundbar would give u nice low profile cinema feel

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
This forum doesn’t have too many audiophiles, head over to headfi they can sort you out better. They can help tailor the sound system to what kind of sound signature you like and more.

Sound is more subjective when it comes to what sounds good. I prefer a neutral or reference sound and my father who is another audiophile prefers something more bright I guess you can say. We both have fairly competent setups but both think our own personal setup is better due to our own taste.

Home cinema is the same, what kind of sound do you want? Do you want to get punched in the chest with out of this world bass at every explosion in an action film or something else entirely.

triplestack92

Proper
Mar 15, 2018

Hi thank you, i will look around on headfi.

it would mainly be for films, actions films where you can feel the explosion etc but also that element of surround sound where you can hear the rain fall around you

USAFRet

Titan

That looks to be a good 5.1 set. Wharfdale is a good brand.
Yes, you'll need a receiver to run them.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V385-5-1-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B07BNXXJKB
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Atmos-Ready-Component-Receiver-VSX-832/dp/B06Y5M9WQD

triplestack92

Proper
Mar 15, 2018

Sorry, shoulda specified, im from the UK so £

triplestack92

Proper
Mar 15, 2018

If i get a AV Reciever with dolby atmos ready, does this mean dolby atmos is pushed to all the speakers or does the speakers themselves have to dolby atmos ready?

Also i have no idea what a AV Receiver is if anyone can help me understand

Speakers are speakers, have nothing to do with dolby atmos, some sets will be advertised as an atmos set simply because of the number of speakers included.

The av receiver provides the digital processing & amplification from video/audio sources, also obviously allows customisation of sound level/effects to suit your ears & your room layout/size specifics.

While I would advise an atmos receiver for future proofing, if you're happy with 5.1 at the moment then there's no issue buying a 5.1 speaker set and adding extra speakers in the future should you so wish.

7.2, 9.1,9.2 speaker layouts are all well & good in a straight rectangular room layout with a central TV position & centred seating layout.
Most rooms in UK homes are far from this layout.
I've stuck with 5.1 over the years simply because it would be massively untidy (near impossible) to cable run any more speakers than that in my current home.

The wharfedale set is nice, easily wall mountable if required, In a big room that sub will let it down if you want heart pounding bass, it's a good sub but small.

USAFRet

Titan

AudioVideo Receiver.
Can serve as the central hub of your home theater.

Inputs and outputs to your various devices.
I have a Denon receiver and 5.2 speakers.

TV, cable box, HTPC...all run through it.

triplestack92

Proper
Mar 15, 2018

I've just bought a 75" QLED Samsung TV which came with a one connect box, this is the only thing my setup is really using as everything i own connects into it, could i not just run an optical cable out in to some sort of simple receiver, i wont be needing multiple inputs etc, it would just be the one optical lead going in

triplestack92

Proper
Mar 15, 2018

I would say the living room, where setup 1 is going to be is a rather large rectangular room with a center TV where my study, is smaller but still has a very rectangle setup with a center tv also

Thank you for all of your help

USAFRet

Titan

Probably, yes. An optical cable to a receiver, as linked above.