[SOLVED] Looking for a Cheap Graphics Card

mindsmack51883

Prominent
Apr 29, 2021
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within in the next month or so.

BUDGET RANGE: Preferably under $100. Maybe even under $50. But I realize prices are up these days.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: I'd like to be able to play most pre-2010 games and the current crop of 8 and 16-bit inspired "modern retro games".

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Just the Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset that came with the computer. A Dell L305P-03 305W Power Supply (Hopefully that's all the info you need. I've never had to mess with a power supply until now).

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Dell Optiplex 760 (Mini-Tower Version). Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93 GHz. 8GB Dual-Channel RAM. 2TB HDD. 0M858N MOBO.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: No preference. Ebay or NewEgg or anything like that.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: U.S.

PARTS PREFERENCES: I'd prefer to not have to replace the power supply.

OVERCLOCKING: ???

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: ???

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Currently using a Dell UltraSharp 1707FP monitor (1280x1024 @ 75Hz). As soon as I install the graphics card, a newer widescreen monitor will be my next purchase.

With this being the first graphics card that I've ever installed, I'd like to not make any dumb mistakes. I've always been the type to buy a cheap computer at Walmart or Best Buy, use it like crazy for 5 to 10 years, and then swap it out for another one. I've been using this Optiplex 760 for years though. So I have two goals. First, I'd like to make this 2009 office computer as good of a 2009 office computer as it can be . Then, in a couple years, I'd like to build the next one. This upgrade's a learning experience for me as much as anything.

It doesn't have to be the "latest and greatest" graphics card. For what I'm doing, I'd prefer that it not be. As long as it's a measurable step up from the chipset, I don't care if it's as old as the computer itself. I went to Reddit for help a few months ago, and only one person really made an effort. He suggested that I order a GT 1030 or possibly a RX 570. I wanted to come here and get more opinions though. What do you guys think of those two? Do you have any better suggestions?

If I understand correctly, my chipset supported resolutions as high as 1920x1080 on Windows 7, but with the upgrade to Windows 10, stopped supporting anything higher than 1600x1200. Then, tonight, I downloaded a 2015 "remaster" of a 1990 game, and found that the chipset no longer supports OpenGL Ver2.0 either. Sigh. You guys gotta help me out here. Haha.

Thank you.

Solution
Because the psu has no connector to power a gpu your only choice is a slot powered gpu like HD 7750, R7 250, RX 460/550/560, GTX 750 (Ti), GT 1030, GTX 1050 (Ti).Maybe you're able to find a resonable prised used gpu.

mindsmack51883

Prominent
Apr 29, 2021
Makes sense. Can you confirm that all of those GPUs would work with my computer? Are any of the GPUs you listed much better than the others?

Also, are there any particular sites that you trust when buying used parts?

I'm getting lost in this site's search function at the moment. A lot of good stuff.

mindsmack51883

Prominent
Apr 29, 2021
Okay, let's try this.. With what I'm trying to do and willing to pay, I've been pointed toward HD 7750 pretty consistently. Apparently, others have made that work for them. However, I've read that my Optiplex 760 mini-tower can't fit a card larger than 7.5 inches, and now I'm reading that the Asus HD 7550 is 7.8 inches.

Is that not cutting it too close?