Looking for a cost effective SSD

vharunsiva

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
I want a relatively fast SSD (I currently use a HDD) which could either be 2.5 inch SATA III or NVME m.2 both at 1TBish in order to store games as well as be a fast drive to boot from.

I have my eyes on the Intel 600p for its m.2 interface and NVME protocol which allows for fast read speeds but I would like to know if there any other cost effective SSD options, again either 2.5 inch or m.2.

Solution
The sandisk ultra, crucial mx 300, and samsung evo 950 (listed least expensive to most) are pretty close to each other in price. Those are the cheapest 1TB drives that from companies that I would trust. I personally use a sandisk 1TB, but I own both crucial and samsung SSDs as well.

For your purposes stick with a standard 2.5" SATA III connected SSD. You will see no performance difference when loading games as compared to a M.2 PCI SSD. There are several benchmarks out there that show at a certain point even the SSD speed is no longer a factor in loading games.

By going with a 2.5" SATA version you will be getting the most out of your money.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's no such thing as a cost effective 1Tb SSD in any format. Pricing starts around $260 for a mediocre Mushkin 1Tb Sata3, and goes on up to @$1300 for an intel enterprise 1.2Tb.

As for speeds, they are all about the same level per type. Fast to rediculously fast to omg fast. Individual branding doesn't change that much except in benchmarks.

The sandisk ultra, crucial mx 300, and samsung evo 950 (listed least expensive to most) are pretty close to each other in price. Those are the cheapest 1TB drives that from companies that I would trust. I personally use a sandisk 1TB, but I own both crucial and samsung SSDs as well.

For your purposes stick with a standard 2.5" SATA III connected SSD. You will see no performance difference when loading games as compared to a M.2 PCI SSD. There are several benchmarks out there that show at a certain point even the SSD speed is no longer a factor in loading games.

By going with a 2.5" SATA version you will be getting the most out of your money.

Solution