[SOLVED] Looking for a decently compact case

macross_green

Prominent
Jun 21, 2019
After getting a test-bench case for my last PC build (a Cooler Master HAF XB Evo) and trying it for the past half a year or so, I'm not a big fan of it. Might've liked it more if there was a top-side window or something, but since that doesn't seem to exist anymore... well. Because of this, I'm trying to find a good PC case to replace it with. Besides, it's kinda wasted when it's big enough for an ATX mobo and I'm using micro-ATX anyway. I'm looking for a smaller footprint, but there's one little caveat: I'm looking for a micro-ATX case that has a 5.25" ODD bay as well.

Here's the components in my system already. I'm willing to change the CPU cooler too, considering it's a bit big for most micro-ATX cases that I've seen so far. It's about 168mm tall, if I remember right, and many cases only have a clearance of 155mm or less. Suggestions on a good CPU cooler that's around 150mm would be great as well. I've heard about the Scythe Fuma and Mugen 5 rev.b, those may be good.

Ryzen 5 2600X
Cryorig H5 Ultimate
ASRock B450m
16GB RAM
EVGA 750w G2
EVGA GTX 970
1- 3.5" 2TB HDD
1- M.2 SSD (500GB Western Digital Blue)
1- 2.5" Samsung 250GB SSD (leftover from previous build)
and 1 Blu-Ray Drive (non-burner) that I'd really like to keep using.

Any recommendations would be appreciated! I don't plan to do any overclocking, and the GPU I have will likely be replaced next month- my second-hand 1070 died, so I had to go back to the 970 until (hopefully) there's news/a release for the new GPUs coming out soon. The thing makes a bit of a whine while gaming, so... it gets annoying. My budget overall is around $150 for both a case and possibly CPU cooler combined, but of course, the lower the better.

Last edited:

macross_green

Prominent
Jun 21, 2019
Oh, that's a good one. And there's a smaller version to choose from... not that it really gets much smaller, from what I'm seeing. Looks like the PSU will fit, the cooler will fit... the only thing I'm seeing as a potential issue is my blu ray drive, since it's 172mm (6.77") long/deep. I'll have to do some research and make sure it will be able to fit without hitting the mobo.