Looking for a driver for a THNSN5256GPUK NVMe Toshiba 256GB

Jun 13, 2018
I have a clevo p650rs-g with a THNSN5256GPUK NVMe Toshiba 256GB solid state drive. This computer has been giving me problems since the day I bought it and I'm trying to see what I can do to fix it. Windows device manager says my driver for this harddrive is up to date but the driver version says 6/21/2006. I've found updates for it on the dell website but my computer isn't on the list of supported models so I'm curious if 1.) I can go ahead and use the one on Dell's website anyway, or 2.) if anyone knows where I can find an update for this harddrive. Thanks in advance

Solution
XMP settings are controlled by the motherboard, not the CPU - I keep learning new things too :)

XMP is not a CPU feature, it is a firmware feature. In particular, it is a feature that allows the firmware to interpret sections of the DRAM SPD beyond the standard JEDEC configuration region and use the data stored within that region to calculate and configure non-standard performance profiles.

By default, x86 firmware will always configure the SDRAM according to JEDEC specifications stored in the SPD (the DIMM's parameter ROM) and the memory controller's parameters. This ensures maximum probability of baseline operation. When JEDEC specifications are adhered to, the probability of the memory not operating at all is minimized; when...

Colif

Win 11 Master
You shouldn't need Drivers. Is the driver dated 2006 from Microsoft? if so, the date is a lie. All default drivers in windows have really odd dates.

If you are installing Windows 8 or 10 or a Linux distro with kernel 3.3 or higher, you don't have to worry about drivers. They are built into the operating system.

What problems are you having?

Jun 13, 2018
Man I’m having sooooo many problems lol. Too many to mention to be honest. BSOD’s for the last year and a half. All different reasons. The biggest thing they have in common is that the ntoskrnl.exe is usually listed as one of the reasons and I know those generally have to do with ram. The ram the company I bought this laptop from had it as an option but I don’t think my motherboard actually supports 2666mhz ram. So I ordered two 8gb sticks of 2133 because I know the ntoskrnl.exe BSOD’s often have to do with ram.

The reason I wanted a driver is because I’m just trying to cover all of my bases. I’ve tried almost ever nvidia driver out there and I’m strongly leaning towards ram or gpu failure.

A lot of info to say: I just want to try and see if it helps.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

NTOSKRNL does a lot more than just memory. NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause. I find its often drivers to blame for it showing up, though ram can as well.

Jun 13, 2018
ok I went ahead and did that. It's interesting though; I pulled one stick of ram out yesterday, just to test and see what would happen. I booted up a game and ran it for an hour and a half, no crashes or anything. It's still running strong. I've done other stuff that might have also contributed to this like removing the Clevo Control Center, Turning off G-sync and some other things. At this point it's difficult to know what has helped and what hasn't. But this is also about the 5th time I've reinstalled windows. Next BSOD I'll be sure to post. Thanks for your help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you download and run memtest86, it creates a bootable USB which can be used to check the ram sticks. Test 1 stick at a time, up to 8 passes. Any error count higher than 0 is too many, and is a sign you should remove/replace the stick. JUst to confirm the stick you removed is bad. It could be cause of the BSOD you getting as bad ram corrupts anything running in it.

Jun 13, 2018
I’ve run memtest a few times already. It runs fine on each stick but never finishes when I try to run it with both installed. I always end up having to disconnect the battery for a few then putting it back in and powering it back on.

Colif

Win 11 Master
no point running it with 2 anyway as if you did get an error, there would be no way to tell which stick.

It could be the slot on the motherboard though, anyway to run memtest on different slots as if you have a stick that works fine, its a good way to test if its the motherboard

Jun 13, 2018
That’s actually what I did. I ran each stick two times each in each slot. Did fine by themselves. It was just when trying to run two.

Update: with just the one stick in there I haven’t been having any issues. I have some new ram coming today. 2x8gb at 2133. My current ones are 2666 and when I look at the specs for my mobo it shows 2133 as being the highest speed. Will update again if I see any difference

Jun 13, 2018
So it was an easier fix that I thought. I replaced the ram. Runs like a champ now.

When I had it built I selected the fastest ram they had available thinking all the ram they would offer for my build would be compatible. Turns out that wasn’t the case. The specs for the i7-6820hk show that 2133mhz is the fastest compatible ram and the ram that was in there was 2666mhz. So I purchased the exact same brand and type but in 2133mhz and now I have no issues at all.

The funny thing is that I sent my laptop back and they said they couldn’t replicate the issue. Knowing now that it was a hardware malfunction and not a software issue I don’t think they did anything at all when I sent it in. Way to go tech support. Glad I got to pay for new ram out of pocket.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I heard about 1 guy who bought 2 really good nvme drives just to find they weren't compatible with his PC. These are lessons you need to learn, always check the motherboard supports something before buying it. People were buying Optane last year and finding the same thing.

I perhaps go too far and look for problems before I get them, but its always nice to know of downsides before picking anything up.

At least discovering it was ram has solved other problems that were bugging you for ages :)

Jun 13, 2018
The most frustrating part is I had HIDevolution build it for me. I assumed if they had it as an option that it would be compatible. As you change and update certain things during the build selection options go away so I don’t know why that wouldn’t go away. But either way, I’m g2g now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you ask them about it after the fact? I too would be annoyed if the people who built my PC advertise parts in build calculator that don't actually work in the specification. I certainly wouldn't go back or give them a good review.

I have had same people build my last 2 computers, the one prior to this lasted 9 years so I sort of trust them now. So far so good. They appear to have a good name for themselves.

Jun 13, 2018
I haven’t so much asked than as I’ve been blasting them on every source I can find. Funny though that since I’ve posted about how I fixed it and they built it improperly, then couldn’t find the issue in two months time, they haven’t uttered a peep.

Colif

Win 11 Master
This is from a laptop that has same motherboard

Four 260 Pin SO-DIMM Sockets Supporting DDR4 2133/
2400MHz Memory
Memory Expandable from 8GB (minimum) up to 64GB
(maximum)
Supports XMP 2666MHz (XMP support depends on processor)

http://s472165864.onlinehome.fr/anyware/manuels/P65xRS_ESM.pdf

So my next question is, what CPU is in it? is it one of these? i7-6820HK (2.70GHz), i7-6700HQ (2.60GHz)

The i7-6820HK supports 64gb of 2133 memory - https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-6820hk
The i7-6700HQ also supports 64gb of 2133 Memory - https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-6700hq

So motherboard supports 2666 yet the two CPU can't run that speed? I must be missing something here. I have asked for a 2nd opinion.

Colif

Win 11 Master
XMP settings are controlled by the motherboard, not the CPU - I keep learning new things too :)

XMP is not a CPU feature, it is a firmware feature. In particular, it is a feature that allows the firmware to interpret sections of the DRAM SPD beyond the standard JEDEC configuration region and use the data stored within that region to calculate and configure non-standard performance profiles.

By default, x86 firmware will always configure the SDRAM according to JEDEC specifications stored in the SPD (the DIMM's parameter ROM) and the memory controller's parameters. This ensures maximum probability of baseline operation. When JEDEC specifications are adhered to, the probability of the memory not operating at all is minimized; when JEDEC specifications are violated, the probability that the memory will not work, or will not work consistently, rises dramatically.

The capabilities of XMP are limited by the memory controller's capabilities. For example, if the memory controller is physically incapable of being programmed to generate the clock frequency specified by the XMP profile then XMP is worthless. Furthermore, even if the memory controller is capable of being programmed to generate the necessary clock rate there's no guarantee that the memory controller will be able to train the signals, keep jitter in check, properly compensate for signal skew, centre the eye, etc... there are a huge number of things that can go wrong and it only takes one to render everything inoperable.

In addition to being a technical feature, XMP is also an Intel trademark. DIMM vendors that wish to use the XMP trademark must submit their designs for testing and validation by Intel. Intel does perform significant testing to ensure that XMP branded memory is going to work as well as possible when operating outside of JEDEC specifications; however, Intel does not provide a guarantee like they do when the memory is configured within Intel's specifications (which are a platform specific extension of JEDEC's). With that said, many users often take memory even further, often by installing multiple identical sets of DIMMs. Whereas a single set of DIMM's (one DIMM per channel) are tested to work nicely with the XMP profile alone, two sets installed together (two DIMMs per channel) may require additional tweaking above and beyond simply enabling XMP.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2565338/xmp-intel-cpus.html

So it seems your motherboard was a little unreliable at 2666, and runs fine at 2400. Other peoples with exact same ram might have run fine at that speed, did you have the newest BIOS installed as BIOS updates often include ram compatibility enhancements.

Solution
Jun 13, 2018
I do have the most current bios. As far as I can tell. I burnt the bridge with tech support from the company I bought it from and am not sure where to find the newest. I’m glad you found that too because I didn’t know what xmp was either lol. I reinstalled the clevo control center and deleted the hkkbdfltr and hkmousfltr in the registry (previous issues noted) and it works like a dream now.

Side note, that manual is for my laptop lol.

At the end of the day, new ram fixed it. $170 was worth it for me in the end and hopefully I don’t see anymore issues. I haven’t had a single crash of any kind since I put it in. Previously I would get one every 20-30 minutes. That’s under a heavy gaming load, memory intensive stuff, etc.

So now.. I’m happy.

But still hate HIDevolution.