looking for a fast wireless router under $100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
You now see your problem asking questions like this on a forum or reading user reviews.

All you get is a bunch of individual opinions, this is almost as bad as asking what color paint you like best.

The main problem with answering a question like this is your house and how it is constructed makes far more difference than the small difference in the router. This is partially why you see such huge difference from people because in effect they are reviewing their house. It is almost impossible to tell for sure why certain routers work better in certain houses.

The other variable is your end equipment it is half the wifi connection. Many end device especially mobile device have extremely small antenna and low power radios to...

Slow Pri

Respectable
Feb 29, 2016
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADXX5SY9888&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Network+-+Wireless+Routers-_-9SIADXX5SY9888&gclid=CjwKCAiAxarQBRAmEiwA6YcGKKEbV4Ru-KUhM7NgZjfzI_ZltRZqxvYbnNql3wD5H-Jko7JT8ubb5xoClowQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hands down one of the best for the price. I've been using it for about 2 years now, It has amazing reliability and very good signal strength. You can also load up Tomato Firmware unlocking other abilities. Highly recommended I'd say.

bigjohnny

Reputable
May 20, 2016

What about the Linksys e2500

Slow Pri

Respectable
Feb 29, 2016

I've owned the Linksys line-up. I did not like them. The E-series that I had was garbage after about a year. Sure you pay $50 less but you get what you pay for with Networking. I'd save yourself the hassle and grab the Asus, since you get reliability and range in one stop shop.

I also found myself having more features on the Asus router than Linksys. I've owed a few Linksys in the past, It's nothing against the company just I don't recommend there products unless your spending some sort of penny for it.

bigjohnny

Reputable
May 20, 2016

What about this one https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-Dual-Band-Gigabit-Anywhere/dp/B00JZWQW4C?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAIOIL6HT4RMUFB3AA&tag=pcm_rounduptable-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00JZWQW4C&ascsubtag=70df0735-7015-4394-a81b-af0b98756af9. the Asus have some bad reviews which worry me.

You now see your problem asking questions like this on a forum or reading user reviews.

All you get is a bunch of individual opinions, this is almost as bad as asking what color paint you like best.

The main problem with answering a question like this is your house and how it is constructed makes far more difference than the small difference in the router. This is partially why you see such huge difference from people because in effect they are reviewing their house. It is almost impossible to tell for sure why certain routers work better in certain houses.

The other variable is your end equipment it is half the wifi connection. Many end device especially mobile device have extremely small antenna and low power radios to save battery. This will greatly affect your performance.

In general if you stay with the better brand names routers with similar specifications will perform about the same. Internally many times the routers are using exactly the same radio and cpu chips. Most the difference are software feature related.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.