[SOLVED] Looking for a good CPU cooler for an 3700x

Jan 6, 2021
Hi all,

I have an sfx build with a Ryzen 3700x cooled by a Corsair h60.
Under load in games it performs well with temps reaching @75-80C. However, when rendering a 4k video it recently reached 90C.

I was looking at the Corsair h100i (which is basically H60x2 in length) but I have no idea if the cooling is improved or not. Alternatively I am open to trying "normal" CPU coolers as well.
Ideally I would love for the temperatures to stay around 70-75C under full load but I know its difficult to achieve in an sfx build.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jan 6, 2021
Full pc specs:

Ryzen 7 3700x
Corsair H60 AIO cooler
Sabrent NVME 512gb
SandDisk SSD 480gb
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD
2 Noctua Fans
B450 Aorus WiFi Mobo
32gb 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance
650w EVGA 80+G PSU
Asus Dual RTX 3070

With regards to AIO or AIR I am open for suggestions.
As for the budget, I would not want to spend anything over 150GBP.

Full pc specs:

Ryzen 7 3700x
Corsair H60 AIO cooler
Sabrent NVME 512gb
SandDisk SSD 480gb
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD
2 Noctua Fans
B450 Aorus WiFi Mobo
32gb 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance
650w EVGA 80+G PSU
Asus Dual RTX 3070

With regards to AIO or AIR I am open for suggestions.
As for the budget, I would not want to spend anything over 150GBP.
whats the case?

Every decent US$40-50 air cooler can get you temperatures you wish for. BUT.. if your PC case has poor/none air flow, then you're stuck with high temperatures.
I used Scythe Mugen 5 rev.B on 3700X and was extremely happy with it.
As for AIO water cooling.. every single fan AIO is pure joke. But then, water cooling for 65W CPU? Seriously?
MIght be OC-ed, OP didnt mention the case yet though.

Jan 6, 2021
Every decent US$40-50 air cooler can get you temperatures you wish for. BUT.. if your PC case has poor/none air flow, then you're stuck with high temperatures.
I used Scythe Mugen 5 rev.B on 3700X and was extremely happy with it.
As for AIO water cooling.. every single fan AIO is pure joke. But then, water cooling for 65W CPU? Seriously?

I chose an AIO as I was constrained by space and swapped the stock fan with a Noctua NF F12.
Thanks for your suggestion but I think its just a bit too tall for my case.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
IME, there is something else at play there.
That cube case should have good airflow and even being a "single fan" AIO, it should readily be able to keep up with the 65W TDP of a 3700X.
Are you certain that you have good contact on the cooler/CPU and that the pump is operational?
Do you regularly blow the radiator out (dust) ?

Ok, now after I saw your PC case... yeah, I realized cooler I mentioned might be too big.
Maybe you should look after coolers of this design, which are meant for compact PC cases. I think such cooler would be enough for 3700X (not overclocked). Just make sure you also mount somewhere an intake fan.
Darn, this case is freakin' small :)

logainofhades

Titan
Reactions: Bassman999
Solution
Jan 6, 2021
IME, there is something else at play there.
That cube case should have good airflow and even being a "single fan" AIO, it should readily be able to keep up with the 65W TDP of a 3700X.
Are you certain that you have good contact on the cooler/CPU and that the pump is operational?
Do you regularly blow the radiator out (dust) ?

I clean it every week. The pump is working as I can see it displaying RPMs in HW monitor and can also feel the vibrations in the tubes.
It is also making good contact with the CPU.

Reactions: Bassman999
Jan 6, 2021
Ok, now after I saw your PC case... yeah, I realized cooler I mentioned might be too big.
Maybe you should look after coolers of this design, which are meant for compact PC cases. I think such cooler would be enough for 3700X (not overclocked). Just make sure you also mount somewhere an intake fan.
Darn, this case is freakin' small :)

I used to have a SG-13B from Silverstone before which was slightly smaller but the 3070 would not fit properly so I had to "sacrifice" haha.
The 3700x is not overclocked as I dont neet it this (yet).

I will have a look at the Shuriken, thanks!

Jan 6, 2021