Question Looking for a good GPU for my CPU.

Trumpet227

Prominent
Jan 31, 2022
Hey guys recently I've been interested on purchasing a new graphics card for my system but I am not sure which one is going to maximize my performance in games without bottlenecking. I've been looking at some cards that interested me but I want to ask you guys. What do you think?

Here are my system specs:

i5-7600K

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2133 Corsair Vengeance RAM

ASUS Strix Geforce GTX 980 4GB

Crucial P1 1TB nvme SSD

AK620 dual tower cooler.

ASUS Prime Z270-A

Thermaltake Toughpower 550W 80+ Gold

Any suggestions?

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in the build listed above? You could actually get some performance out of your platform if you went with a dual channel DDR4-3200MHz ram kit though in retrospect, that platform of yours will have limitation regardless of what you go for discrete GPU wise. You should be able to drop in pretty much anything concurrent on the shelf now. An RX6600 should do you good albeit your CPU is a limiter here.

You also should include the budget you've set aside for your discrete GPU purchase as well as a preferred site for purchase in case you might have limitations on what you have access to.

Trumpet227

Prominent
Jan 31, 2022
How old is the PSU in the build listed above? You could actually get some performance out of your platform if you went with a dual channel DDR4-3200MHz ram kit though in retrospect, that platform of yours will have limitation regardless of what you go for discrete GPU wise. You should be able to drop in pretty much anything concurrent on the shelf now. An RX6600 should do you good albeit your CPU is a limiter here.

You also should include the budget you've set aside for your discrete GPU purchase as well as a preferred site for purchase in case you might have limitations on what you have access to.
I'm not accurately sure how old the PSU is. I bought it off of marketplace around a year ago and If I recall the previous owner said the parts were a couple years old I think? I'm not sure. I am mostly preferred around a budget/ mid range GPU because I want something that will do the job decently but is not up in the price range. But I am eligible for something that is definitely worth the price.

There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

What kinds of games do you play?
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
f a graphics card will help, your first limitation will be your power supply.
Here is an approximate chart of what each card takes:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
In the chart, the two 6 pin connectors are approximately equal to a single 8 pin connector.
But, be aware that modern cards like the 3000series can have high demand peaks
I do not think you can find a meaningfully strong upgrade that can run on your 550w psu.
rtx3050/3060 perhaps.