[SOLVED] Looking for a good Motherboard + CPU combo for this case.

Jun 27, 2020
Hello! I'm very new to the PC building niche and have always wanted to try it, however I have been weary to get into it considering I have never done anything remotely close to building a pc. The closest I have done is attaching and removing some ribbon cables.

I'm looking for a good CPU and Motherboard combo that would support 1080p gaming & wifi that aren't too pricey, along with maybe being able to support 16gb memory/RAM. Looking to spend $750 max on my first build. I'm also not very big into overclocking, I'd like to keep it as safe as possible while still being powerful enough to run games like DQXI.

https://www.newegg.com/white-phanteks-eclipse-p400a-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811854087?Item=N82E16811854087

This is the tower I am considering using, any suggestions for GPUs/PSU and such and help with the building process would be much appreciated!

Also, if you have any better cases for a cheaper price (Mini or Mid tower cases) Please do let me know in the replies, as well as a good motherboard/cpu that would be compatible with it.

Last edited:
Solution
Oh alright, sorry for the noob question. So basically any motherboard that has room for 2 8gb memory chips while still fitting on the cpu and gpu can fit into a midsize case?
That also includes 99% of all contemporary components.
Let's start with CPU, AMD Ryzen R5 3300x, on MSI Tomahawk b450 MAX motherboard and with 2x8GB of 3200MHz RAM as a base.
GPU, Rx 580 or Nvidia Gt 1660 for a GPU.
Next you need an SSD disk because of it's speed and not to bottleneck the rest of system. Minimum of 240-250GB + some HDD of 1TB which is still most economically viable combination.
After all those were set to buy you also need to choose a PSU that can safely feed all those components. An example would be a good make and model of 550-650W for...
Hello! I'm very new to the PC building niche and have always wanted to try it, however I have been weary to get into it considering I have never done anything remotely close to building a pc. The closest I have done is attaching and removing some ribbon cables.

I'm looking for a good CPU and Motherboard combo that would support 1080p gaming & wifi that aren't too pricey, along with maybe being able to support 16gb memory/RAM. Looking to spend $750 max on my first build. I'm also not very big into overclocking, I'd like to keep it as safe as possible while still being powerful enough to run games like DQXI.

https://www.newegg.com/white-phanteks-eclipse-p400a-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811854087?Item=N82E16811854087

This is the tower I am considering using, any suggestions for GPUs/PSU and such and help with the building process would be much appreciated!

Also, if you have any better cases for a cheaper price (Mini or Mid tower cases) Please do let me know in the replies, as well as a good motherboard/cpu that would be compatible with it.
You don't go building a new system starting from the case for it. practically all base elements will fit into a mid sized case.

Jun 27, 2020
You don't go building a new system starting from the case for it. practically all base elements will fit into a mid sized case.
Oh alright, sorry for the noob question. So basically any motherboard that has room for 2 8gb memory chips while still fitting on the cpu and gpu can fit into a midsize case?

Let's start with CPU, AMD Ryzen R5 3300x, on MSI Tomahawk b450 MAX motherboard and with 2x8GB of 3200MHz RAM as a base.
Next you need an SSD disk because of it's speed and not to bottleneck the rest of system. Minimum of 240-250GB + some HDD of 1TB which is still most economically viable combination.
After all those were set to buy you also need to choose a PSU that can safely feed all those components. An example would be a good make and model of 550-650W for this setup.

Solution
Jun 27, 2020
After all those were set to buy you also need to choose a PSU that can safely feed all components. An example would be a good make and model of 550-650W for this setup.
Would you recommend investing in a CPU cooler? Also, what would the hard drive add to it when it comes to performance?

Would you recommend investing in a CPU cooler? Also, what would the hard drive add to it when it comes to performance?
Ryzen comes with decent cooler that would do good job in a well ventilated case, besides it can be changed easy enough later on.
Fastest but more expensive SSDs are ones that come as M.2 NVME although in most cases that difference is not visible. SATA 2.5" drives are many times faster than HDDs anyway. Some of best ones are Samsung 860 evo although apparent speeds don't vary much between it and most other ones.

Jun 27, 2020
Ryzen comes with decent cooler that would do good job in a well ventilated case, besides it can be changed easy enough later on.
Fastest but more expensive SSDs are ones that come as M.2 NVME although in most cases that difference is not visible. SATA 2.5" drives are many times faster than HDDs anyway. Some of best ones are Samsung 860 evo although apparent speeds don't vary much between it and most other ones.
PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Inland 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate 500 GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $557.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-27 05:12 EDT-0400

So these are the items I have so far. The only ones I'm having trouble with are a PSU and a Ryzen R5. The Ryzen R5 3300x does not show anywhere I look, even on AMDs website. Is there a good alternative? Also, would you suggest a modular PSU to be simpler to set up for a first timer, or should I go non-modular?

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Inland 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate 500 GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $557.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-27 05:12 EDT-0400

So these are the items I have so far. The only ones I'm having trouble with are a PSU and a Ryzen R5. The Ryzen R5 3300x does not show anywhere I look, even on AMDs website. Is there a good alternative? Also, would you suggest a modular PSU to be simpler to set up for a first timer, or should I go non-modular?
Sorry, Ryzem 3 3300x not R5. but Ryzen 5 3600 looks like it has even better price and is stronger.
Also https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3hkwrH/corsair-power-supply-cp9020102na

Last edited:
Reactions: Aviqia
Ah great! Thank you for the help! One last thing for now,would it be recommended to get any of these items refurbished or such to get at a cheaper price without downgrading its performance too much?
Second hand CPUs are mostly safe as they rarely die or get worn out. Same thing with RAM, GPUs of that class are often used for bitcoin mining and could be modified for that so they might not be very safe buy if used.

Jun 27, 2020
Second hand CPUs are mostly safe as they rarely die or get worn out. Same thing with RAM, GPUs of that class are often used for bitcoin mining and could be modified for that so they might not be very safe buy if used.
Okay thank you! Also, would 450 watts be suitable or is 500 the bare minimum? I looked on amazon and the only one prime had in stock was the 450 watt PSU.

Jun 27, 2020
https://www.amazon.com/MasterWatt-S...dp/B074ZDLGMK?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace

If that psu comes in stock on the specified date it's a good price and decent quality.

Thanks, but I already had bought the other by the time you posed this haha. Anyways, I’ve been reading about how the XFX Radeon RX 580 has terrible fans. Would the built in fans along with the Wraith be enough to keep it from overheating? Or should I invest in better fans? I dont plan to overclock.

Thanks, but I already had bought the other by the time you posed this haha. Anyways, I’ve been reading about how the XFX Radeon RX 580 has terrible fans. Would the built in fans along with the Wraith be enough to keep it from overheating? Or should I invest in better fans? I dont plan to overclock.

I don't think the gtx model has terrible fans at all, generally you can undervolt an rx 580 quite a bit and drop 5-10c off load temps anyway.

Whats your full component list in the end?
And also what country are you in, ambient temps and case airflow are the main contributor to cpu/gpu temps.
In the UK with temps generally always being under 27c its very very easy to keep components at acceptable temps.