Looking for a gpu

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 20, 2016
My pc specs are:

Processor:Intel Pentium Dual Core E5700

Motherboard:Intel G41-M7 v1.0

Ram:8 GB

Power Supply:500 watt

Hard Drive:500 GB

Monitor Resolution:1600x900

So what kind of GPU can I add in my pc

Solution
A couple of years ago I added an R7 250 to my old computer, it's an e5200, G31 chipset. I had no issues with it being compatible, put it in installed drivers and all worked well. However even that GPU is limited by the CPU, and your e5700 is only a slight improvement. So, YES, anything more than the 750Ti is money wasted. However the more powerful cards will still work, but the chances of lag spikes increases as the size of the bottleneck increases.

Aug 20, 2016
Can I play ac unity,syndicate at default settings with gtx 750 ti at 1600x900 without any lag?Can a gt 730 ddr5 2gb work more than a gtx 750 TI 2gb ddr5?Another PC expert suggest me to add a gt 730 not gtx 750 TI.Please tell me a best GPU that my processor would be handle it fully.

genthug

Honorable
At default settings you'll end up with a CPU bottleneck instead of a GPU bottleneck. The minimum CPU recommendation for Syndicate is an i5 2500s, quad core running at 2.5GHz. You have a dual core running just .5GHz faster at 3.0GHz. The minimum for Unity is an i5 2500k running at 3.3GHz, which has both a faster base clock and more cores to it. The games you want to play are open world games. Open world games are notorious for being CPU heavy games. If you had a newer pentium/i3 then you could get away with it--but at this point, playing it at default settings with your CPU, I would say don't expect more than 30FPS out of your CPU if you want a stable framerate.

The 730GT wouldn't work better than the 750Ti, it's a worse GPU, but it fits your CPU better. You have a bad CPU, so the logic there is to pair it with a bad GPU. Thus, the GT 730. If you're looking to save money, then I might consider getting the 730. But if you want to start playing games on your PC, you might want to start looking towards an entire system upgrade instead of just one component.

Aug 20, 2016
I want to add a gigabyte gtx 950.I saw a video at YouTube,there I find a celeron g1820 processor with gtx 950.

Video Link:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ZLOYqAjU8

And I also find that a intel pentium g2030 with gtx 950.

Video Link:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=54vc1CUfCa8

There I find that GTA v running smoothly in these processor.

How much my processor bottlenecks a gtx 950? Tell me in persantage.

I had the money to get a gtx 950.

Everyone keeps telling you, your CPU is too weak for these better graphic cards. You can't compare your old E5700 to a modern g1820 or g2030. Percentage, you'll be lucky to use any more than 30% of the 950's processing power, so that's a 70% bottleneck.

genthug

Honorable
I'm just going to repeat myself here... Your system is too outdated. My recommendation is to not buy a GPU and save up for a better system. If you do, get a cheap one such as a GT line card like the GT 730, and save up for a better overall system. You want at least an i3 to play games, not an outdated pentium/celeron.

genthug

Honorable
Too much percentage %
Looking through the plethora of other posts that people just like you have made... A lot of people were recommending (years ago) not getting a great GPU to pair with it. Nevermind now, years later. I'd actually forgotten about the HD7000 series, so there is that. Honestly, I wouldn't go with anything more than an HD7xxx/GTX 550Ti. Anything else is wasted money.

Aug 20, 2016
Tell me the work persantage for gtx 750 ti 2gb.Can my pc support gtx 750 ti 4gb ddr5 gpu?And tell me if I add a gtx 750 TI 4gb ddr5 can I play ac unity smoothly. And also tell me the gtx 750 TI 4gb ddr5 persantage.I did not want to add HD 7000 series.These amd/ati radeon GPUs are dull than nvidia GPUs.If I add the 4gb addition of gtx 750 TI can I get extra benefits from this card than the 2gb addition.The gtx 550 or 550 TI are not available in Bangladesh.

genthug

Honorable
No, because your CPU won't allow you to use the 2GB of VRam on the stock 750Ti nevermind the 4GB of an upgraded and thus more expensive version. There's no reason for you to bother with that GPU. Get a less expensive GPU so you can save some money to get a better machine later. A GT6xx/GT7xx card would do you just fine, at a lower price.

Aug 20, 2016
How much my processor bottlenecks gtx 750 TI 2gb ddr5 or gt 740 2gb ddr5?I did not wan to add lower gpu like gt 730.It is too much lower.If I add a gtx 750 TI or gt 740 then how much these card work?Tell me the bottlenecks of these cards in persantage like you tell me in gtx 950.Tell me the bottlenecks is bigger or not so bigger.I want to add a GPU in my current rig.After 5 years I will build a pc with i7 processor and gtx 1080.

genthug

Honorable
Honestly I would recommend the GT730 with your current CPU. You're not going to be utilizing all of a 750Ti nor will you be utilizing all of a GT740. And at least in the US, the GT740 and GTX750Ti are so close in price that I'd just get the 750Ti. I would say the majority of the time (depending on how high you turn up your settings) you'd probably use between 50-75% of the 750Ti. Which means you might as well have spent $50 on a GPU instead of $100. Which is what I'm trying to get across to you.

Look, you have my recommendation. Personally, I wouldn't get anything better than a GT730. You can add a GT740, you can add a GTX750Ti, but you have my recommendation. You're not exactly listening to it, so I'm going to go elsewhere. Do with the information that I've given you what you will, but I'm no longer responding to this thread given that I've said the same thing the last 3-4-5 times I've responded to this thread.

So, I'll say it again. Get a cheap GPU. Save your money for the better system. You don't need a system with an i7 and a Pascal GPU to have an upgrade. An i3 and 960/1060/460/470/480 would be WORLDS better than what you have.

Best of luck to you.

Aug 20, 2016
So I get more performance from gt 730 than gtx 750 TI.Can a gt 730 2gb ddr5 work 100 persant or it is bottleneck by processor?There is two versions of this GPU.These are gt 730 2gb ddr5 and gt 730 4gb ddr3.Then what should I buy.Can I get more fps at ac unity from gt 730 4gb ddr3 than gt 730 2gb ddr5 or I cannot get more fps as 4gb GPU?Can a gt 730 work more than gtx 750 TI as the GPU was bottlenecks 25 persant by processor.

Why do you keep asking these types of questions about percentage? As already explained, your processor wouldn't be able to use all the power of a 750ti, therefore there is no reason to spend money buying one when a GT 730 would be better suited. This doesn't mean the 730 would work better, it just means you won't be wasting your money on a more expensive GPU.

As for bottlenecks, they are not something that's bad for your computer....like it will crash and burn :) A bottleneck simply means one component is limiting the speed of another component. The reason you don't want a large bottleneck caused by the CPU is because you can get lag spikes and other annoying stability issues when the GPU is being starved of data.

Aug 20, 2016
I did not mean that.I want to say that,how much fps can I get in which GPU.I know my processor bottlenecks the gtx 750 TI,gtx 950.Despite with this bottnecks my question is which GPU can give me much fps between gt 730 2gb,gtx 750 TI 2gb,gtx 750 TI 4gb,gtx 950.I think now you realize my question.Reply my full question.

Thank you pete-101.