Looking for a keyboard to buy

clubman

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017
Hi ! Can someone give me a recommendation for buying a certain type of a keyboard ? I am looking for RGB (or at least with a bright white backlit), both wired and wireless, all around for gaming and typing, soft keys and less noisy. The wired option can be neglected , if only the wirless signal of the recommended keyboard is strong and not struggling to type a letter or a word from a distance of 3 - 5 m. I am using A4Tech wireless keyboard and from a distance of only 1.5 - 2 m. is eating letters like Cookie monster is eating cookies, or stuttering a lot. It is not the batteries that cause it. I have taken nearby devices into account , and there isn't someting to interfere with the signal. It would be great if you are typing an answer from your experience! Thanks!

Solution
If corded is an option, I'd recommend going with that. You don't have to worry about interference from other devices that way. If you're doing gaming and typing, you might like something with a Cherry Brown mechanical switch. It has the actuation bump on it without the clicky sound. The Cherry Red switches are also a good option, quiet and no bump or clicky noises.

If you don't need maco keys or media control keys, then the company WASD makes a very nice, very solid keyboard with a bright white LED. They also allow you to customize the switches used, the colors the of the keys, the fonts, etc.

If you do want a more gaming orientated keyboard, the Corsair K series keyboards would be good to look at. K65, K68, K70, K95 and Strafe all...
If corded is an option, I'd recommend going with that. You don't have to worry about interference from other devices that way. If you're doing gaming and typing, you might like something with a Cherry Brown mechanical switch. It has the actuation bump on it without the clicky sound. The Cherry Red switches are also a good option, quiet and no bump or clicky noises.

If you don't need maco keys or media control keys, then the company WASD makes a very nice, very solid keyboard with a bright white LED. They also allow you to customize the switches used, the colors the of the keys, the fonts, etc.

If you do want a more gaming orientated keyboard, the Corsair K series keyboards would be good to look at. K65, K68, K70, K95 and Strafe all have RGB options, and they have options for the types of switches.

If you want to go wireless Corsair has a wireless mechanical series, the K63 wireless. It's a recent release tho so I don't know the quality on it. But it also has a wired option on it, so you can go either way with it if you find you get a lot of interference with wireless.

Solution

clubman

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017

Thank you for the time spent to write and for your thorough answer. Probably I would use a corded keyboard, but with an usb extension cable - the reason is that I prefer playing games in bed on a big screen TV. What is your opinion of Logitech G-series keyboards?

I have a G710+. It's nice but I'd avoid it. The keycaps have a known issue with cracking and I've had to replace a couple. I don't have much experience with the newer models as I don't personally care for the Romer-G key switches that Logitech uses. That's not to say they're bad, I have a friend with the G810 Orion Spectrum and she loves it. Since I'm guessing you're coming from a membrane keyboard you might feel more comfortable with those kind of key switches. They're not quite as stiff as mechanical keys but not quite as squishy as membrane and seem to do well to type on. I would highly recommend going to a store to try out the different keys if you can.

gondo

Distinguished
Steelseries Apex 100 for single color, Apex 150 for RGB. Both USB and quiet membrane switches.

For wireless I'd look for bluetooth which will give you the distance required for living room use, as opposed to regular wireless which doesn't as much range. The new 2.4GHz keyboards claim better battery life and a 10m range. Bluetooth II is 10m and bluetooth I is 30m. It seems 2.4GHz is more common now and replacing bluetooth. Bluetooth was popular years ago when regular wireless was junk. Bluetooth seems to be reserved for tablet keyboards now.

Razer and logitech make lap keyboards for living room use that have built in mouse pads.

clubman

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017

I am using a mechanical keyboard at the moment. I find membrane ones really comfortable to type on, less noisy due to the membrane softening the hits I assume, they are not that stiff really. But are they as durable as the mechanic ones, probably not. I totally agree with you about having to check them out in a store, but we have lesser availability of the latest pc components and peripherals in my town, so probably not an option for me. I'll see what I can do. Again, thank you!

Oh one other thing since you want to play in bed. Look at those new Corsair k63 specifcily for that. They are mechanical, but, they have a dock designed for laptop positioning. It has a mouse pad built in to the side so you can game without the need for a table top.

clubman

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017

Thank you, too! I'll check them out.

gondo

Distinguished
Logitech makes long life membrane keyboards as does steelseries. They are quiet and smooth like on a laptop. I understand how you can prefer the membrane over mechanical since you don't get all the clicking bugging everyone.

I remember in the old days when every computer had mechanical IBM keyboards but everyone loved the smooth quiet laptop keyboards and wanted one on the PC. Now all PCs are membrane keyboards but everyone wants mechanical. People are so backwards.

My wife hates it when I use mechanicals because of all the clicking. You can however get an o-ring kit to soften the mechanical. Higher end membranes are rated for long life so I wouldn't worry about it. They are also cheaper so if it lasts 8 years as opposed to 12 don't worry about it. Also the new 2.4GHz devices are longer 30ft range but more energy efficient compared to bluetooth. Sounds like a winner to me. I'd recommend looking for a keyboard with a built in lithium battery pack that you can charge with USB. It last a long time and you don't have to worry about always swapping batteries or batteries dying during a game.

clubman

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017

Thanks,man! Any model in mind, having the specs you've described? :)

gondo

Distinguished

Logitech k800 is a nice backlit membrane keyboard that is usb chargeable.

Logitech g613 is a high end mechanical gaming Bluetooth keyboard that claims extremely long battery life. It also claims quiet keys.

Check out the Razer Turret lapboard. Wireless backlit with built in mouse pad if you need to control from your lap on a couch or chair.