looking for a laptop that fits my needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dantes_kitchen

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
i'm looking for a laptop that is durable, powerful, power efficient, and has a back-lit keyboard. while i'm not interested in playing current-gen games, it would also have to have a decent graphics card. the reason why i want high-end products is for longevity; i want to be able to use it for about 4+ years without having to constantly upgrade in-between years. i'm primarily looking into gaming laptops, but, not for the purpose of just "gaming". i travel a lot and i want to be able to use it for extended periods of time, whether it may be editing or just playing very light games made in 2000-ish. so far the msi ge70 apache pro seems to fit my needs, but i was wondering if there are any more options than just that.

dantes_kitchen

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

16 gb of ram is a bit overkill, even for longevity purposes. i think i'd be much better of if i just get a notebook w/ 8gb of ram, heck, 12 at most is still overdoing it in some cases.

a gtx 970m is also a bit of a stretch. i really don't see myself playing games around 2009-2015ish, and if somehow i did find myself playing them, i'd have it them at the lowest quality settings possible. i don't really want to abuse the laptop once i get it, i would just like to keep it in an excellent condition as time goes by.

The laptop will greatly depend on the budget but I would look into the asus gl series I think its called. These are built for power and portability.They are generally not as powerful as their bulky counterparts but it should be enough for what you need. You could also look into the razor blade pro as the 17 inches will make a huge difference when you are editing. Plus the laptop is light which is perfect for travel. Another option could be the auros v3 but I think that one is more bulkier than the ones I have mentioned.

dantes_kitchen

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
whoops, forgot to reply.

my budget for the laptop is ~$1,800 USD, but i can go a bit lower considering that i'm not really into hardcore gaming. i'd probably need around 2gb gddr5 memory for my laptop, but i won't really need to use it most of time, so i'll probably just underclock that, along with the cpu. speaking of which, a quad-core i7 may be my last resort in terms of longevity purposes, since there really isn't anything else that i can foresee making it in around 4 years. and i guess i can put back the 16gb's of ram too since that will make it far more than 8gb's can.

i don't really plan on using the laptop to it's highest potentional on a daily basis, so most likely i'll just disable at least 2 cores, disable the graphics card when not in use, and limit the amount of physical ram on it until i really need it. and on top of that, the laptop will need to be as cool as humanly possible and power efficient so i'll most likely disable any miscellaneous options that i simply just consume more power for no real purpose.

dantes_kitchen

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

hmm, really? would there be a possibility if i could change something other than that then?

ps, sry for my persistence, just like to plan ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.