Question Looking for a new 1000 watt or 850 watt psu

Jul 31, 2019
I have two gtx 1080tis as well as an overclocked 2600 on 1.4v at 4ghz and I am looking for a "cheap" 850 watt it 1000watt psu, i want to spend less then a hundred dollars (us). Any suggestions?

liamwhalley20

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
you dont want a 'cheap' power supply. that is literally the heart of your system. with 2 gtx 1080ti's and a 2600 surely you want to look after them a little bit more than that.

you want a good quality unit from seasonic, or corsair with good efficiency rating atleast

Jul 31, 2019
You have >$1,000 in just those three components. You do not want a "cheap" PSU. A budget PSU is possible, but <$100 is going to be tough fro anything of even half decent quality...

Are you actually located in the US? If not, US pricing/availability is not a relevant consideration.
I am currently in Japan on Business but I will be back shortly, (prices here are quite high), I see you point, A crappy power supply might screw me over, is there any recommendations for up to $150?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I am currently in Japan on Business but I will be back shortly, (prices here are quite high), I see you point, A crappy power supply might screw me over, is there any recommendations for up to $150?

$150 as an upper end is a much, much more viable pricepoint.

I'd favor the SeaSonic in this instance over the other two units. They're older, FSP platforms. Still really good quality, but for ~$7 maximum difference, the SeaSonic should be the clear choice.

Looks like you missed one though N1ce.... EVGA's 1000W G3. Top quality.... built on SuperFlower's longstanding "top dog" platform, Leadex II. It's actually the best priced of the quality 1000W units (if you consider rebates), coming in anywhere from 85-90% the cost of the direct competitors.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JB...ed-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-1000

I'd opt for that over anything else, with the SeaSonic a very close second.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I've always thought less of the G3 (and G1+ for being FSP like you said) because the G3 had an abnormally high OPP and OTP when reviewed by Tom's. I suppose it could have been included in that list though, and I'm not entirely sure what harm that would cause if it could actually withstand those loads up to 140% load and 180C temp.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-650-g3-psu,5533-6.html

While valid comments, they're not aspects I'd put too much weight behind. There are some differences between the 650W linked and the 1000W unit though.
On the 1000W, OPP triggers at 127.9%..... and OTP is marginally more 'reasonable' at 140-150'C
However, OTP of 180'C is on par with the AX1000i and below the Prime Ultra Titanium's 190'C . Interestingly, neither of those units OTP settings made it through to a "con" in the summary.

Reactions: MrN1ce9uy