[SOLVED] Looking for a new Gaming Computer Build Recommendations for my kid

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chicago60

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Hi

I am looking for suggestions to build a gaming computer for my kid. The last computer I build was over 8 years ago and it was not a gaming computer. I am completely out of touch on current hardware and do not play games at all. Preferably a system that he can take to college in 2 years and upgrade as required. I am assuming that build system would be better than a pre-built?

My kid plays games on PS4 and wants to move on to a gaming computer.

The games he would like to play are Warzone, Valorant, CSGO, Rainbow Six Siege, Forza, Control, Crysis 3 and Cold War.

Approximate Purchase Date: Looking for Labor Day sales

Budget Range: $2,000 to $2,500 (if we can build a system for less that would be fine as well $1,500 -$1,800 possible excluding monitor cost?)

System Usage: Gaming

Are you buying a monitor:
Probably yes. Currently he has this monitor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JGYM5H6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Parts to Upgrade: All

Do you need to buy OS: Yes Windows 10

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NewEgg, Amazon and as recommended

Parts Preferences: Don’t know if we should go with Intel or AMD. 16 GB Ram

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Don’t know

Your Monitor Resolution: Open to suggestions

Additional Comments: A quite PC. We have Google Mesh at home. I have spare HDD, but we will need SSD.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Kid wants to move from PS4 to gaming computer

I do have a desktop that is not being used. It has Intel i5 2500k, CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600), BIOSTAR TH67+ LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard, Antec Earth Watts Green EA-430D Green 430W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS

Can the i5 be upgraded to a gaming computer for backup gaming computer at home? Right now it is unplugged and perhaps we can use it for spare gaming rig?

I also have a spare case Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case.

Thanks for your help and regards!

Solution
1) Very good.

2) Buy a 1tb samsung 860 evo.
You can then use the samsung ssd migration app to move your C drive from the HDD to the ssd.
The app is a C drive mover, not a clone which is a bit for bit copy.
I have used it many times without issue.
The 860 evo will be the best performing ssd, but for perhaps $20 less, the 860 or 970 QVO drives are good.
They read as fast as the evo, but sustained writes are not so quick.

Repurpose the HDD drives to be external backups.
All you need is a usb to 3.5" adapter cable, or for a neater setup a external housing.
In these days of ransomware, scams, viruses and so on, you should have EXTERNAL backup of anything that would be awkward to lose.

3) Unless you are multitasking, while gaming...