Looking for a new gpu

Syntextoxy

Honorable
Feb 26, 2017
Hello folks, so my problem is the following. I have a asus rog freesync (amd) monitor and a amd r9 290 gpu. I want to upgrade. I have seen a nice and affordable asus strix rx 480 O8gb gpu on sale. My monitors native resolution is 2560x1440. Would in the long run that card paired with amds freesync be a good choice or should I rather buy a asus strix nvidia 1070 8gb and just ignore the freesync? I'm hoping to play games like mass effect andromeda and Wolcen Lords of Mayhem and have started to stream gameplay. I have a i7 4770k cup, asus rog maximus gene vi moba, cm 750w power supply, some corsair could watercooling and 16gb corsair ram (4x4gb). Any help is apriciated. Tom

Solution
If you don't have the time to wait for Vega GPUs buy at least a gtx 1070 or nothing because the rx 480 is not that significant of an upgrade from the r9 290.
Yeah, AMD has been saying that Vega is planned for release in the "first half" of 2017, so probably sometime within the next few months or so. If your 1440p monitor is 144Hz, it might be worth going with something faster than an RX 480, as the 480 is only slightly faster than a 290 in most games. You'll probably want to keep Freesync as well though, so a GTX 1070 might not be ideal, and I suspect that AMD's 1070-equivalent will likely cost less.

Your existing card will probably be enough to play these upcoming games at around 60fps though. Andromeda is built on the same Engine as Battlefield One, and has practically the same system requirements, and judging by the benchmarks here, that game should get around 60fps at 1440p with "Ultra" settings on an R9 290.

Syntextoxy

Honorable
Feb 26, 2017

Yeah I heard about the Vegas coming out but honestly I don't really have the "time" to wait. Problem being is by the time it comes out, gets a stable software and gets reviewed properly I'll prolly already spend the money on something since something always comes up. And I don't wanna buy on release ever again as I have with the r9 290.

Syntextoxy

Honorable
Feb 26, 2017
Your existing card will probably be enough to play these upcoming games at around 60fps though. Andromeda is built on the same Engine as Battlefield One, and has practically the same system requirements, and judging by the benchmarks here, that game should get around 60fps at 1440p with "Ultra" settings on an R9 290.
I somehow doubt it since I was not able to even play battlefield 3 on such frames x'D

Well, at least going within the context of their benchmark run, which of course might not necessarily be representative of the entire game. There could be performance dips at times, particularly in multiplayer where things can be less predictable than a pre-scripted scenario. They did average 63fps at 1440p on Ultra though, with an R9 290 and i7 6700k, for what it's worth.