[SOLVED] Looking for a reasonable priced Wifi extender

ssfwb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
Would like to get a reasonably priced (in the $80-150 range) wifi extender to boost the signal out to my camper ( 35' from house).
Using a Netgear router which is hardwired to my desktops. It broadcasts wifi fairly well in the house.
I moved it as an experiment to the top of the basement stairwell (about 10' from it's location) and was able to connect on an HP G-42 DX415 laptop in the camper. Connection was acceptable.
So, without having to do a ton of rewiring, is there an extender that could be simply plugged in to an outlet near where I had moved the router to (+> or <- 5') and achieve the same result.
I have a range extender system in the camper which can be used if needed. With the present router location it 'see's' the router but will not connect.

All serious suggestions/recommendations appreciated.

Solution
I am looking for one that does not require being wired to the router, just plugged into an outlet, pick up the signal and broadcast. As stated before, if I move the router a mere 10', the laptop picks up the signal well enough.
This netgear page -- https://kb.netgear.com/31000/How-to...r-to-your-router-if-the-router-SSID-is-hidden might give you some options. If you click on the "Applies to" links on the right side you can see the models that support this capability. All the ones that have this level of sophistication are pretty expensive.

kanewolf

Titan
The best option would be to buy a directional WIFI access point and mount it outside pointed at your camper. Next best would be to put it in a window pointed at your camper. Either option requires the access point to be wired to your primary router. Since your router is in the basement, getting an ethernet wire to the outside of the house should not be too difficult.

Reactions: ssfwb

ssfwb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
The best option would be to buy a directional WIFI access point and mount it outside pointed at your camper. Next best would be to put it in a window pointed at your camper. Either option requires the access point to be wired to your primary router. Since your router is in the basement, getting an ethernet wire to the outside of the house should not be too difficult.
That could be possible. Any brand in particular?

ssfwb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
I am looking for one that does not require being wired to the router, just plugged into an outlet, pick up the signal and broadcast. As stated before, if I move the router a mere 10', the laptop picks up the signal well enough.

kanewolf

Titan
This netgear page -- https://kb.netgear.com/31000/How-to...r-to-your-router-if-the-router-SSID-is-hidden might give you some options. If you click on the "Applies to" links on the right side you can see the models that support this capability. All the ones that have this level of sophistication are pretty expensive.

Solution

ssfwb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
Thank you for the link. I went through it quickly but will read through more thoroughly later. I like the simple plug in for placing in a room that faces the trailer which is about 30' away at most. The router is a Netgear so I imagine setup should be fairly painless.