[SOLVED] Looking for a reasonable upgrade for my current graphic's card

richjohnwalk22

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017
I apologize if this is the wrong topic to ask around about upgrading graphics cards.

Here are my specs:

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor - 4.00 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 16.0 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Graphic's card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

I am struggling to play recent Steam games (Song of Horror for instance) due to poor frame rate and other graphical issues, and I've looked up to find out that I am in a desperate need of a brand new graphic's card.

My main concern is spending a lot of money to replace my current graphics card for another graphics card that doesn't offer enough technical improvements to be worth the spending price.

I'm looking at the GeForce GTX 1080 as a suitable replacement, but I'm also wondering if there are other graphics card that can offer more at roughly the same price, if possible?

Thank you for your time.

Solution
You definitely need a platform upgrade if you plan on keep using a 4k resolution. Actually, you need a new PC as a whole as the CX 600 is probably old like the rest of the components and it should not be used for the new rig.

You can get a Ryzen 5 3600X paired with a 5600XT if you are on a budget, or Ryzen 7 3700X paired with a 5700XT for good performance.
What is the make , model and age of your PSU? Please full name and not just wattage.

What resolution and at what refresh rate are you gaming at?

Your CPU will bottleneck with anything greater than 1050Ti so it would be better if you saved a bit more and did a platform upgrade instead (Motherboard, CPU, RAM).

richjohnwalk22

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017
What is the make , model and age of your PSU? Please full name and not just wattage.

What resolution and at what refresh rate are you gaming at?

Your CPU will bottleneck with anything greater than 1050Ti so it would be better if you saved a bit more and did a platform upgrade instead (Motherboard, CPU, RAM).

My PSU is Corsair CX 600

I think my resolution is 3840 X 2160. My new monitor is a 4K TV. Not sure about refresh rate, but I'm assuming that it's 60hz.

You definitely need a platform upgrade if you plan on keep using a 4k resolution. Actually, you need a new PC as a whole as the CX 600 is probably old like the rest of the components and it should not be used for the new rig.

You can get a Ryzen 5 3600X paired with a 5600XT if you are on a budget, or Ryzen 7 3700X paired with a 5700XT for good performance.

Reactions: richjohnwalk22
Solution

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Your monitor is a bit overkill for your current setup, which is why your 760 is struggling (your whole rig in general).

but to answer your question a 5700xt is more price effective vs a used 1080, and you can upgrade everything else down the line

richjohnwalk22

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017
I now have two options regarding about the graphics card: the Radeon 5700 XT, and the GeForce GTX 1080.

A relative of mine stresses that the GeForce GTX 1080 is better, but I am leaning towards the Radeon 5700 XT based on the long-term run with my PC ugrade. Which one is the better choice for me?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
My PSU is Corsair CX 600

How old is it? I suspect this is one of the CX models prior to the 2017 upgrade, so I would suggest getting a better PSU.

I think my resolution is 3840 X 2160. My new monitor is a 4K TV. Not sure about refresh rate, but I'm assuming that it's 60hz.

I don't know Song of Horror in particular, but once you're dealing with 4K resolution, at least with AAA games, you need a very beefy GPU. I imagine you can run the game at 1920x1080 on your TV, and it would still look pretty good, as well as being much less stressful on your existing GPU. The GTX 760 is at or slightly above the MINIMUM required GTX 660 for that game (judging by a quick search), and that minimum probably assumes 1080p, certainly not 4K.

While it's true the rest of your platform needs an upgrade (your CPU is also just about at the minimum requirement), I think a more powerful video card will make a difference even at 1080p, certainly if running at 4K.

I now have two options regarding about the graphics card: the Radeon 5700 XT, and the GeForce GTX 1080.

A relative of mine stresses that the GeForce GTX 1080 is better

That relative is quite wrong.