Discussion Looking for a Souls-Lite Game

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
After having FINALLY played Ghosts of Tsushima, it is exactly want I want.

Attack, Block, Parry, Dogdge. All very fluent.
I tried Sekiro and it was almost a fit but the doge is clumsy and awkward and more a chore than a gameplay element.

Steel Blade was my next investment (after returning Sekiro out of frustration) to get myself in the mindset and "get good" with an easier actual Souls game but with Asists. It too has a very clumsy feeling dodge system, only parry with certain weapons, so it's not a perfect fit.

What else is there? I got Yakuza Ishin (I know not Souls, and I appear to be on a Samurai kick) but haven't tried it.

Also considered Nier Automata but it's not a singular game style with almost different elements at times that change the game entirely.

giphy.gif

The souls genre doesn't really work for me generally despite a lot of the games looking really cool so I tend to vaguely rememeber them. I can offer some suggestions based on that, but definitely haven't played them as I have a bunch in the style already which are basically just collecting dust.

The upcoming Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn might fit the bill as it looks like it might be interesting. Otherwise the last two I can think of are Lies of P and Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty. Most of the rest I can think really remind me more of the pacing and style of Dark Souls as opposed to more fluid and fast paced.

Reactions: SyCoREAPER

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
The souls genre doesn't really work for me generally despite a lot of the games looking really cool so I tend to vaguely rememeber them. I can offer some suggestions based on that, but definitely haven't played them as I have a bunch in the style already which are basically just collecting dust.

The upcoming Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn might fit the bill as it looks like it might be interesting. Otherwise the last two I can think of are Lies of P and Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty. Most of the rest I can think really remind me more of the pacing and style of Dark Souls as opposed to more fluid and fast paced.
You did remind me of Wuklong Black Dynstaty that is to come out. Wo Long I looked at and the reviews leaned into the negative so I skipped it. Lies of P looked super intriguing but saw it can go very quickly from aceepetable to frustrating.
Rise of the Ronin looks perfect but is PS5 only.

I'll have to look at Flintlock doesn't sound familiar so I don't think I looked into it.

Reactions: thestryker

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
It is said that Remnant II is Souls-like, but since it has various difficulty levels, some argue it feels different because of it.
Keep in mind I'm looking for Souls LITE. I like to enjoy games, not have my D smashed by a hammer and then thrown in a blender. But people like the games they like for reasons thru do. I don't judge. Except the pervs that mod their AAA games into basically a pr0n fantasy.

Anyway,

I vaguely recall seeing Remanent 2. From what I'm seeing it looks like the enemies do Souls like damage but it's more an Action style game or is the gameplay I just watched selective and something different altogether.

Last edited:

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
If you're cool with a 2D platformer, Blasphemous is very Souls-y. Combat requires patience and timing and the controls are fantastic. Blocking and parrying is required to pull off special moves.
Core of the game is progress through exploration, tough combat, respawn points that respaws enemies as well, upgrades, special items. No RPG stats, everything hinges on items or quest progress.

And the bosses. Oh your God, the bosses.

If SuperMetroid and Dark Souls had a baby, and that baby was born in the hell of medieval dark ages, it would be Blasphemous.

Is it Souls-LITE? I think so because it's not that hard. If a boss is a pain in the usual pain places, try exploring elsewhere and see if you can increase your health or attack power.

Visually, it's hideous. Athmosphere and sound are top notch.
It might be off-putting to some.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
@TerryLaze
Sincd you have first hand experience I'll ask because I skipped over this title. I saw many say you can get mobbed, bosses (and enemies) can 1 shot you which didn't seem all that appealing.
I too suck at them but love the design, themes, etc of souls like/lite but need something approachable that won't Hvd me raging

@35below0
Not really a 2D guy anymore but I'll take a look. It seems I'm running out of options lol

@TerryLaze
Sincd you have first hand experience I'll ask because I skipped over this title. I saw many say you can get mobbed, bosses (and enemies) can 1 shot you which didn't seem all that appealing.
Well it is a souls like after all, but if you go about it with even a little bit of strategy it's very manageable, I played a little bit of dark souls 1 and 3 and gave up on those ones pretty quickly because there was no way to progress, with the surge you can build up your character and the enemies give you a challenge but not to the point of being frustrating.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Well it is a souls like after all, but if you go about it with even a little bit of strategy it's very manageable, I played a little bit of dark souls 1 and 3 and gave up on those ones pretty quickly because there was no way to progress, with the surge you can build up your character and the enemies give you a challenge but not to the point of being frustrating.
I'm not saying this to be contemptuous but I'm looking for Souls LITE not like.

Keep in mind I'm looking for Souls LITE. I like to enjoy games, not have my D smashed by a hammer and then thrown in a blender. But people like the games they like for reasons thru do. I don't judge. Except the pervs that mod their AAA games into basically a pr0n fantasy.

Anyway,

I vaguely recall seeing Remanent 2. From what I'm seeing it looks like the enemies do Souls like damage but it's more an Action style game or is the gameplay I just watched selective and something different altogether.

Some say it's uber hard to play solo, I solve the lack of having a human coop partner by using the Handler Archetype, which comes with a dog you can give commands to. He is also quite effective in combat and quite resistant to damage when upgraded. When I was last playing it, the Handler was the only Archetype with a companion, but since then they've added many. One is called Summoner, with which you can summons minions.

It also depends what weapons you use and how much you upgrade them. Honestly though, if you are looking for something less daunting, it may not be for you. My apologies for having misread your thread title btw, I thought it said Souls-Like. I was very tired at the time, still recovering from moving recently, having done it all by myself. That combined with Souls-Like being a common search query, and well, you know, old fart eyesight. LOL

This is an example of how effective you can battle with the dog and your weapons upgraded. Notice how he nips at the boss, and keeps his minions away from me. He never went down or even got damaged much either, such a good doggie. I was playing on the easiest mode though as far as I recall. I'll know for sure when I reinstall it now that I have a 4 TB NVMe.

Last edited:

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Some say it's uber hard to play solo, I solve the lack of having a human coop partner by using the Handler Archetype, which comes with a dog you can give commands to. He is also quite effective in combat and quite resistant to damage when upgraded. When I was last playing it, the Handler was the only Archetype with a companion, but since then they've added many. One is called Summoner, with which you can summons minions.

It also depends what weapons you use and how much you upgrade them. Honestly though, if you are looking for something less daunting, it may not be for you. My apologies for having misread your thread title btw, I thought it said Souls-Like. I was very tired at the time, still recovering from moving recently, having done it all by myself. That combined with Souls-Like being a common search query, and well, you know, old fart eyesight. LOL

This is an example of how effective you can battle with the dog and your weapons upgraded. Notice how he nips at the boss, and keeps his minions away from me. He never went down or even got damaged much either, such a good doggie. I was playing on the easiest mode though as far as I recall. I'll know for sure when I reinstall it now that I have a 4 TB NVMe.

No problem, a relatively new and uncommon term. Either way speedy recovery, moving sucks.

GGoing to watch a few more vids on the game. It looked intriguing from the start. My issue isn't that I don't understand how Souls Like are supposed to be played, it's the (IMO poor) dodge that doesn't behave like other game genres that have dodge. Sekiro for example, MF just seemed to dodge I whatever direction he wanted and mini-bosses could still hit me despite having doged a out 10 feet away.

I guess I can play 1hr50 minutes of it and if it's not for me refund it. Maybe Souls Like and Lite just aren't for me despite how appealing they look. Just sucks because there are so many good looking ones with intriguing concepts and themes.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Well at $25, Steam has it for 50% off right now, which is $5 better than Epic's price. In fact it's not much more than the key site prices.
Yeah but I came across a bunch of other games 😁. Thinking it was $6 (Surge) it was whatever but now I have to think. Plus I want to try on my Desktop and ATM only have my Legion Go.

And Epic...(and EA, and Ubisoft), F that noise. I know Steam needs their launcher but the games behave different through the minimal launcher when run through Steam.

TRENDING THREADS