[SOLVED] Looking for a ssd

Joshfred

Commendable
Mar 21, 2019
Hi all right now I am running 2 old hdds and wanted to upgrade to a ssd with a fresh install of windows, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent one for 30-45 dollars with 200 or more space, thank you all.

Solution
About 30-45 dollars I want to switch though my hdd is like 6 years old and my boot time is close to 3 mins
Right.
I get that you said $35-$40. Yes, everyone has a budget.

However, warranty and company reliability also comes into play.
Just over a year ago, one of my SSD's died suddenly. 960GB Sandisk.
33 days beyond the 3 year warranty. It was over. I knew it, Sandisk knew it...they replaced it with a new one anyway.
Would this brand do the same? I wouldn't count on it.

Just something to consider, when the difference is $15 or $20.
Based on the specifications, it's using a SMI controller ("Static Data Refresh"). Not an old controller since it supports LDPC and 3D TLC. Likely DRAM-less, so I'd guess the SM2258XT. It's probably similar to the Crucial BX500 therefore at this capacity. Quality of the flash is uncertain, likely 2nd tier Samsung or Micron. It would probably be fine for your usage.

Joshfred

Commendable
Mar 21, 2019
How strict is your budget on this?
While it may perform on a par with other second rate drives, how is the overall warranty? If it dies at the 2 year mark, will they stand behind it?
About 30-45 dollars I want to switch though my hdd is like 6 years old and my boot time is close to 3 mins

USAFRet

Titan
Right.
I get that you said $35-$40. Yes, everyone has a budget.

However, warranty and company reliability also comes into play.
Just over a year ago, one of my SSD's died suddenly. 960GB Sandisk.
33 days beyond the 3 year warranty. It was over. I knew it, Sandisk knew it...they replaced it with a new one anyway.
Would this brand do the same? I wouldn't count on it.

Just something to consider, when the difference is $15 or $20.

Solution