Question looking for advice, Telia side problem dont know where to write about this anymore {TELIA!!!!!!!!!!!]

vastupead

Prominent
Jun 25, 2019
Hello, so i have this weird problem one of my favorite gaming servers
  • 45.76.81.207:16569
1 year ago it was fine ping was 40-41, but it has gone very bad 100% packetlosse when testin with pingplotter shows ping spikes to 55, ping used to be solid 40-41 and now its 45 with a 85 - 100% packetlosses when i test
talked to my ISP the usual bla bla not our end, in my side ive done everything i keep my pc tweaked/optmized, have changed all router settings, port changes, cables, new router, whatever i need to do ive done
so this bad routing just came out of nowhere WHAT messed ALL THINGS UP, and im guessing, if it will go away it will simply go away, even if i have to wait 5 years, lets put it like that, ofc there is a ISP change
but right now i cant do that, i want to write so bad to their main centre, where they have that substandard equipment what does this, this is so not cool, [JUST OUT OF THE SKY EVERYTHING IS UPSIDE DOWN]
i just cant play at all, im all about details and feeling how game is and its just 1000% so wrong, so il guess il wait another 5 years, and even then it might not get fixed.

Any secret place to write them, anything else i can do [without having to wait 100 years for it to go back normal, so i can enjoy my game]

Last edited by a moderator:
I would ignore the ping spikes since it is the packet loss causing all your problems.

Where does pingplotter show the loss. Be aware you must read the tool correctly. You can not have 100% loss in say hop 3 and then no loss in hop 4. Traffic would never get to hop 4 when it was being tested. Loss at or high latency at intermediate hops means nothing if it does not actually affect the final hop.

What you need to see is packet loss start in hop xx and the continues all the way until the final node most times getting slightly worse.

You best case would be if this is happening in hop 2 which is the connection between your house and the ISP. The ISP techs will not understand pingplot they will be lucky to understand normal tracert and ping commands. What you want to do is have 2 constant pings running one to your router and a second to the hop 2 IP. You want to show the ISP that you have no loss to your router but there is loss to their router. This should show them your router and your PC are not the cause but something in the internet connection to your house is causing the problem.

vastupead

Prominent
Jun 25, 2019
hvdi6v.jpg

[MY ISP SENT ME THIS ABOUT THIS]

traceroute to 45.76.81.207 (45.76.81.207), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
1 *
2 kjj-bb3-ae-2-0.ee.estpak.ee (194.126.123.0) 12.848 ms à Server locates in estonia, ping is good
3 war-b2-link.telia.net (213.248.99.34) 27.535 ms à Server locates in Poland, Server availability and trafic is not Telia manageable
4 ffm-bb4-link.telia.net (213.155.134.212) 44.806 ms à Server locates Germany, specifically trafic is between Poland and Germany, not managable ,Ping depends on load, etc.
5 ffm-b12-link.telia.net (62.115.142.5) 44.584 ms Server locates also Germany, same story, ping doesnt change anymore because servers locates same countr
6 vultr-ic-312911-ffm-b12.c.telia.net (62.115.58.22) 45.092 ms à Server locates again in Germany, Telia cant control that
7 *
8 *
9 45.76.81.207.vultr.com (45.76.81.207) 45.064 ms and again server is located in Germany

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can do pingplotter tests everyday, and results varietes from diffrent packetlosses such as 30% to 60 % to 80% and 100%

and as you said (I would ignore the ping spikes since it is the packet loss causing all your problems)

! YES i totally agree this packetloss causes all of this, unplayable everything, again i follow everything so detailed i even know when im dealin with 1-2% packetloss but, this what im dealing with right now is [OUT OF THIS WORLD and 100% their side]

^ can do more screenshots test if needed

( the first screenshot what u see is diffrent server i did but both going through Telia]

my gaming servers

• 108.61.199.14:16568
  • 45.76.81.207:16569

vastupead

Prominent
Jun 25, 2019
8wwowk.jpg

!!! and crazy thing is [ IT WENT ITSELF LIKE THAT, and the LOGICAL FIX WOULD BE, IT WILL GO BACK TO NORMAL ITSELF] !!!, but living in 2019 youd expect real fix for this from Telia crew
but no, again il wait 5 years then as usual

On the second trace you have no loss to the end server so the intermediate results don't mean much.

The first one there is likely a firewall at the game company blocking ping/trace. The game would never work if you had 100% loss.

The trace changes from run to run it appears....the path of routers is not the same even though the destination is the same. This generally means telia has redundant pathing and is load balancing. Makes troubleshooting hard because you can not force your traffic over the same path all the time.

There is nothing you can do about this. This is deep in the telia network. You would need to get to their upper tier support guys even if you have pinpointed a issue. This is very hard because these guys do not want to bother talking to all the idiots who "think" they know how routing works.

Pretty much your only option is to not use telia which likely is not a real option if they are the only ones that offer internet where you. The other thing that sometime works is to find a VPN provider that uses telia in a city you get good connection rates to. You could hope the vpn provider also have connection to other ISP and maybe you get lucky and the path from the vpn data center would not use telia to go to the server location.

vastupead

Prominent
Jun 25, 2019
K thank you very much about this information, i already know deep down the answer is i cant do nothing about this

[There is nothing you can do about this. This is deep in the telia network. You would need to get to their upper tier support guys even if you have pinpointed a issue.]

but is there a upper tier support where i could write do you know? at least try?
i know im an idiot but i would explain it to them how its on their so called [deep in the telia network]
but i dont know where and how to contact, MY ISP doesnt even know so how would i...

* id write them, what do i have to lose [ just where/who/ please anyone

( and what do u think about the line i said, IT WENT ITSELF LIKE THAT, and IF IT GOES BACK IT WILL GO or you dont believe?

vastupead

Prominent
Jun 25, 2019
This is very hard because these guys do not want to bother talking to all the idiots who "think" they know how routing works.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well, as if im taking this problem from thin air,* software shows there is a problem at their end
* my isp said they cant do anything, its not in their network
* ive done i think at least all if not most of the suggestions ive been given by my isp, and the things i can control

im not saying i know about routing, but i know that damn much that this is not my side 100 million% its not, ive been dealin with computers whole my life
optimizing for the best performance every single damn detail settings, that doesnt mean shit, but im not a total stranger on those things, and i know for a fact thats not my side

# i just cant understand how it would happen? do they change their equipment, cant they see the results of people are having, im not the only one
# and even if you have the problem then theres no support forum or [so called top tier guys to help you out of it], because they think u know shit

it just was fine and the next day it wasnt and it has been like that i think over a [year] now

vastupead

Prominent
Jun 25, 2019
and its just plain out embarrasing for Telia, they are a 20 billion dollar company and they cant even set up a forum for these type of question and getting things done
and for what ever reason shit equipment they are using, they talk all big, oo we do things this {BIG, INNOVATION,LARGE, FIX PROBLEMS] - AINT DOOING FOOKIN NOTHING
i have dealt with this problem enough time, to see how things work, and all i hope for this company is a downfall, i hope they put their costumer service and rotten equipment to place
where sun dont shine, i really do from [BOTTOM OF MY HEART] im not a hater but this is just a joke/embarrasment/humiliation for a company like Telia.

* idk what im even writing anymore, its just a rant cause i havent been able to play my favortite game for over a year now [ it does hell of a lot behind the scenes UGH!]

They likely would not even talk to me and I held the top cisco CCIE cert for more than 15yrs before I retired. When I called ISP for work stuff I used to use my contact with people I used to work with that now work for the ISP to get me a contact who would talk to me. The only reason I could talk to these high level guys was because someone they trusted told them I really did know what I was talking about.

You would need actual access to their routers to find it. They have what is called a looking glass site that lets you have limited access to some of their routers.

Problem is you are going to have a learn a real lot to even partially use this tool. The most important one to learn is BGP and then there are strange things like a tracert can take a different path going one direction and coming back. Tracert only shows the forward path so you have to do it from both ends.

There are 2 basic problem you will find in a ISP internal network that cause high latency. They could have a overloaded connection someplace or they could be not taking the most efficient path between 2 locations.

Because you latency is very consistent in the traces you provide I am going to guess it is not overload. Overloaded links you get number have a wide variation between the minimum number and the average. Yours are very consistent.

Now the path your data takes through the internet is all based on BGP. You can see the path with tracert but why it takes certain paths you can only tell if you can see the actual routing table entries. The looking glass tool can give you lots of information but you still do not know why it was configured to favor one link over another. Could be contractual things or technical but only the ISP knows that.....and that they never will tell you since it is their core business.

vastupead

Prominent
Jun 25, 2019
ye, youre a good guy i can feel it, its not my area of expertise, if barley you get to talk to them, what chances i would have? [0]
i have stompled to Telia Looking Glass before, but dont really understand what do i have to do there

i guess il be waiting 5 years for a simple routing fix what was totally fine, but one day it just changed

Thanks Telia