Looking for an operating system.

Kellen Cole

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
I am a first time builder. I need to know what operating system to buy (Windows 8.1 pro 64-bit at this store) for example. I am going to be building a budget computer for gaming and I need to know what the best exact operating system is for a gamer. I also need to know where I can buy it for the cheapest.

Solution

1. I've used both. I prefer VirtualBox. Hyper-V does...
Cheapest thing to do is wait for newegg to have an offer on windows 8.1 pro and buy that with the intent to upgrade to Windows 10. Occasionally you will find Windows 7 Pro for the same price. https://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-885370635003

Although most will say you can use Home (which is certainly possible), Pro makes fixing things later on much easier. Home is generally ~$90 though, so if you are really that cheap (assuming you're buying a ~$1000 machine and for some reason don't want to pay the extra $40), that's an option.

Also, Windows 10 (free upgrade) for sure, no gamer will want to be without DX12.

USAFRet

Titan

How does Pro make "fixing things later on much easier" ?

1) hyper v (you could use virtualbox but it's nowhere near as fast usually) to test unknown software
2) group policy editor
3) microsoft has stated their business updater will work on Pro (but not home), so fewer issues from updates
also sometimes useful
4) Remote desktop
5) domain join (not so much for home users)

USAFRet

Titan

1. I've used both. I prefer VirtualBox. Hyper-V does not transmit audio, and I see zero speed difference between the two. And for either, you actually need a whole second license.
2. OK, maybe
3. Yes, with Pro, you can delay updates for a period of time. You can't prevent them totally. With either, you can turn off driver updates.
4. Home can initiate a RDC. Pro can host the RDC.
5. And how many people at home run a domain?

If you need or can use those extra features, sure.
But none of the above points to "fixing things later on much easier" to justify the extra cost.

Solution