[SOLVED] Looking for an Ultra wide 4k display

SciaTion

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2015
Hey everyone, I'm looking for an ultra wide 4k IPS display, hopefully with a 144hz refresh rate. I currently have a 4k 32 inch monitor, but with CyberPunk 2077 coming out in November. I want to have a full panaramic view of the graphics and game world. Not to mention outside of gaming, I always have so many things open that my desktop is cluttered. So the ultra wide will help a lot with that as well.

I'd be grateful for recommendations! Also the following link is a monitor I was considering, until I realized it was actually a 1080 display and I'm not sure if its IPS either. Though I'm all for the curved nature of it, looks more natural in a way. Samsung CJ890 Series 49 inch 3840x1080 Super Ultra-Wide Desktop Monitor

Solution
Dude, next time ask, don't make assumptions. Now to figure how to close this thread. No points or best answers, because with respect there were no best answers. Maybe the type of monitor I'm looking for hasn't been engineered yet. But I'll keep searching my own, as I've been doing.
Maybe next time provide more details about what you are actually looking for so that those providing you with free tech support don't need to make assumptions.

What they said was accurate, "4K" is referring to the horizontal resolution of a screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio, typically 3840x2160 pixels, so there's no real thing as "Ultra Wide 4K". The "Super Ultra Wide" screen you linked to in your first post only offers half the pixels of 4K...

SciaTion

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2015
Regardless, as you indicated it isn't 4k. 4k, would be if you were to hypothetically slit the ultra wide monitor into 3 individual more regular sized monitors and came out with 3840x2160. Or close to that.

However the monitor in my link and the ones you pointed toward, may have a higher number on the width side. The 5120. But the height side falls extremely short of anything 4k, as they are merely 1440 in the link you provided, and 1080 in the link I provided.

They even say, "QHD", not "UHD" for Ultra HD.

That ultra HD ultra wide screen is what I am interested in! And that's what I'm having difficulty finding.

Regardless, as you indicated it isn't 4k. 4k, would be if you were to hypothetically slit the ultra wide monitor into 3 individual more regular sized monitors and came out with 3840x2160. Or close to that.

However the monitor in my link and the ones you pointed toward, may have a higher number on the width side. The 5120. But the height side falls extremely short of anything 4k, as they are merely 1440 in the link you provided, and 1080 in the link I provided.

They even say, "QHD", not "UHD" for Ultra HD.

That ultra HD ultra wide screen is what I am interested in! And that's what I'm having difficulty finding.
"4K" is just shorthand for the width. The most common 4K resolution is around 4K × 2K (3840 × 2160). If you look for ultrawide formats but keep the same width of 4K, you're going to end up with something shorter, like the 4K × 1K monitor you linked (3840 × 1080).

If you want to look for something wider than 4K × 2K then you're looking for something with an increased width, like 5K × 2K: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34WK95U-W-ultrawide-monitor

SciaTion

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2015
You seem to have missed my original post, because the monitor link you provided is the same width as the one I currently have. But with slightly higher resolution.

I should clarify that I'm interested in an ultra wide that is 49 inches wide. I'm looking for a panoramic view. With either 4kx2k or 5kx2k. That's what I'm looking for.

"4K" is just shorthand for the width. The most common 4K resolution is around 4K × 2K (3840 × 2160). If you look for ultrawide formats but keep the same width of 4K, you're going to end up with something shorter, like the 4K × 1K monitor you linked (3840 × 1080).

If you want to look for something wider than 4K × 2K then you're looking for something with an increased width, like 5K × 2K: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34WK95U-W-ultrawide-monitor

You seem to have missed my original post, because the monitor link you provided is the same width as the one I currently have. But with slightly higher resolution.

I should clarify that I'm interested in an ultra wide that is 49 inches wide. I'm looking for a panoramic view. With either 4kx2k or 5kx2k. That's what I'm looking for.
I did read your original post which stated:
Hey everyone, I'm looking for an ultra wide 4k IPS display, hopefully with a 144hz refresh rate. I currently have a 4k 32 inch monitor, but with CyberPunk 2077 coming out in November. I want to have a full panaramic view of the graphics and game world. Not to mention outside of gaming, I always have so many things open that my desktop is cluttered. So the ultra wide will help a lot with that as well.

I'd be grateful for recommendations! Also the following link is a monitor I was considering, until I realized it was actually a 1080 display and I'm not sure if its IPS either. Though I'm all for the curved nature of it, looks more natural in a way. Samsung CJ890 Series 49 inch 3840x1080 Super Ultra-Wide Desktop Monitor
My interpretation was that you wanted something with an ultrawide resolution equivalent to 4K UHD extended in width (i.e. 3840×2160 -> 5120×2160), which is what the monitor I linked is. I didn't realize you also wanted a particular physical size.

SciaTion

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2015
Dude, next time ask, don't make assumptions. Now to figure how to close this thread. No points or best answers, because with respect there were no best answers. Maybe the type of monitor I'm looking for hasn't been engineered yet. But I'll keep searching my own, as I've been doing.

I was just answering based on the information that was given. When someone describes what they are looking for, I will assume they are looking for exactly what they described. I believe this is a reasonable assumption, and no I'm not going to ask every time if there are any other requirements that they didn't mention, I'm just going to answer based on what's given. If they want to add anything, they can clarify in a reply just like you did. I don't see anything unreasonable about how things have proceeded here.

Good luck in your search (y)

Last edited:
Maybe next time provide more details about what you are actually looking for so that those providing you with free tech support don't need to make assumptions.

What they said was accurate, "4K" is referring to the horizontal resolution of a screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio, typically 3840x2160 pixels, so there's no real thing as "Ultra Wide 4K". The "Super Ultra Wide" screen you linked to in your first post only offers half the pixels of 4K, basically like if you cut a 4K screen in half horizontally. And due to the extreme aspect ratio, while it's significantly wider than your current screen (by close to 70%), it's also around 15% shorter, which isn't all that much of a difference, but is something to keep in mind. Overall, the screen area would be around 43% larger than what you have, but with half the pixels, the image wouldn't be as sharp.

The first screen that Hang-the-9 linked to in the first reply is the same size, but at 5120x1440 resolution. So, 33% more horizontal resolution than your existing screen, but 33% less vertical resolution, working out to around 11% less total pixels, but relatively close to the resolution of a 4K screen overall.

The one Glenwing linked to offers the same vertical resolution as a 4K screen, but more horizontal resolution, making it "Ultra Wide" (21:9) rather than "Super Ultra-Wide" (32:9). That does give it 33% more pixels than your current screen, though in terms of total screen area, it's actually slightly smaller than what you have due to the difference in aspect ratio, being a little wider, but a little shorter as well.

In any case, unless you have graphics hardware capable of handling higher-than-4K resolutions at more that 60fps, it's arguably kind of pointless to look for a screen with those specs. Cyberpunk is probably going to be rather demanding, especially if enabling graphics features like raytraced lighting effects, so even with something like a 2080 Ti, pushing native 4K at 60fps will likely be a bit of a stretch with the graphics cranked up. Having to turn the graphics settings down just to make the image slightly sharper at a higher resolution without significantly hurting performance seems kind of counterproductive to me. I would personally rather take a lower-than-4K resolution with a high refresh-rate rather than struggling to get decent frame rates at native 4K or higher. I guess you could use some form of upscaling to improve frame rates though, and just use the native resolution for less-demanding games and other tasks.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS