[SOLVED] Looking for an unmanaged switch with power and ethernet at 90 degree angle

• Thread starter Deleted member 2849646
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2849646

Hi,

For my setup at home I require an ethernet switch to be standing vertically on top of my PC (which is between my radiator and the desk). So imagine ethernet cables coming out of the top of the unit.

Since with most units the power comes out of the opposite side to the ethernet sockets, I'm stuck. Has anyone come acros any units where the power comes out of the sides, and the ethernet comes out from the top? i.e. 90 degree angle so that I can stand the unit up like a tower? I'm only after 5 or 8 ports.

If so, please can you link me! I can't seem to find any.

Thanks!

Solution
You would have to rip open the boxes but pretty much none of the switches you find on the market actually make their own chips. There are very few manufactures of switch chips and the technology is so mature that everything pretty much performs exactly the same. Years ago when they used to use software/firmware to do this there was a difference. Modern switches use asic and it seams everyone has copied the best design.

Ralston18

Titan
PC between radiator and desk....

How hot is that area? Heat is not good for electronics.

Overall the basic premise may need to be reconsidered....

=======

That said, you may need to get a small wall mountable or rack mountable switch and build a small "rack" of your own to fit things together.

The "rack" would sit on top of the PC.

Thanks. That's just the kind of thing I was looking for. Is Tenda a good company? Never heard of them before.
Not to be confused with Tenga, hahaha. Stupid name considering they're one letter away from a completely different company.

All the major switch manufacturers make switches suitable for your needs. Just search for 'desktop switch' as most 'desktop' models have all the power and ports on the same side.

D

Deleted member 2849646

Not to be confused with Tenga, hahaha. Stupid name considering they're one letter away from a completely different company.

All the major switch manufacturers make switches suitable for your needs. Just search for 'desktop switch' as most 'desktop' models have all the power and ports on the same side.
Very true....."between radiator and desk" does not sound good.
The local area right next to the radiator is likely quite hot.

Anyone have any thoughts on this one: Linksys LGS105. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Business-Desktop-Gigabit-Unmanaged/dp/B00HZMVTBK

Pretty cheap on amazon and I found a way to make this one work (one with cables coming out at opposite ends)

You would have to rip open the boxes but pretty much none of the switches you find on the market actually make their own chips. There are very few manufactures of switch chips and the technology is so mature that everything pretty much performs exactly the same. Years ago when they used to use software/firmware to do this there was a difference. Modern switches use asic and it seams everyone has copied the best design.

Solution