[SOLVED] Looking for Approval for the upgrade parts I chose/ Have some questions about compatibility between MB and SSDs. (Gaming)

SonicAngel

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2012
Hello, I am an amateur to building PCs, but have done it twice in the past so not completely new to it either. I fumbled around with the partpicker yesterday and googling the details for each part and whether they are fully compatible has made my brain into mush, so here I am asking you, to review it just in case, before I order them.

Why am I upgrading: current build was done in 2012, getting bit outdated for newer game releases. And more importantly: some issues with the PC restarting once some minutes after booting (irregular), then continues to run with no problems. I tried changing the RAM and GPU, didn't fix it. Since I dont have the knowledge or patience to learn and find the problem, I'll just throw my wallet at it and hope it's gone in the new build. (if it's still there, I'll know it's the SSD.)

The rig will be used for gaming only. (No video editing/streaming) Mainly various MMORPGs which are known to be heavy on the CPU. My current i5 3570K can handle most stuff, but it gets pushed to its limits on occasions, not being able to handle stress situations.

Overclocking: No, unless the CPU has a user-friendly interface to support it. I would rather avoid messing around and stress testing the CPU since I am not familiar with the process and do not want to experiment. Would rather invest in a slightly stronger CPU and let it run normally, for which I believe my current choice for i7-9700K is enough.

Budget: I am not limited to cost, but staying within reason is preferable.

I am going use some of my current components, and will upgrade some of them. Detailed list below:

Full build on PCPartPicker.com

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Crucial M4 128 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Arctic White ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Asus VP278QGL 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor

Out of the above build, I have and want to re-use, the following:
Asus VP278QGL 27.0" 1920x1080 Monitor
Fractal Design Define R3 Case (Mine is "Black Pearl" version but couldnt find one on the site to link, looks the same)
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive SSD
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (mine is a 120mm fan version)

The next 2 I have and I'd like to use, but if it's gonna create issues with the MoBo compatibility, or slow down the rig, can ditch them.
Crucial M4 128 GB 2.5" SSD Currently running windows on it. My plan was to keep windows on it. I have a microsoft account and their site does say I can re-install my digital license to a new drive.
Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM IHD. This I have barely used in the last 8 years since I made my current build. If it's compatible and doesnt block the performance of the rest, I'll add it. Really do not need it tho. Had used it only to store various torrent files (less than 100 gb).

Local store links from where I currently plan to order the parts:

Intel Core i7-9700K Prosessor
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz 16GB
Corsair RM650x 650W PSU
ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER DUAL EVO V2
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F GAMING, S-1151
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD (NVMe)

Local store links if you want to change something: https://www.komplett.no/ , https://www.dustinhome.no/ , https://www.proshop.no/ , https://www.computersalg.no/ , https://kl.ink/index.php?route=common/home , https://www.multicom.no/

So here are my questions about the build:

1) Have I chosen the correct components on the shop site (listed above) compared to the build in the PartPicker I linked earlier in this post ?

2) I have no experience with M.2 drives, watched some videos on the installation process, read up about it, overflooded with information, can't really say I understood much. Is the disk compatible with the MoBo I chose? In specifications it does say it has 2x M.2 Slots, just wanted to be sure I understood correctly.
2.1) Last builds I have basically winged it when it comes to where to connect the 2.5" SSDs. Does it matter now that I will have a M.2? Do I need to look for specific PCI/SATA slots to avoid compromising performance?
2.2) Since the M.2 drive is much faster on data read, will it matter if I have windows 10 running on the 2.5" 250/128 or should I install it on the M.2 for faster performance? If there is a difference, is it significant?

TL;DR: I am looking for the green light from an expert's view on this build so I don't have to return/re-order the components. I am not savvy enough to squeeze the 110% of the build's potential, and I really don't need it for what I am going to use it for.

Thanks in advance for your time spent on reviewing this post.

Solution
You have an excellent build for your usage.

Your type of games are very cpu centric so clock rate is all important.
Today, there is nothing better in that respect than the i7-9700K.
You do not need to overclock.
But, with a good cooler, it is likely that you can get to 5.0 on all cores.
A easy way to do that is to use the intel performance maximizer app.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-auto-overclock-performance-maximizer,6179.html

Hyper212 is a popular cooler, but not good enough, I think for a top build like yours.
I would spend $85 or so on a top air cooler like the noctua NH-D15.

Your RTX2080super is a very good match.

You can certainly use your various drives in a new build, they are compatible.
But, with...

USAFRet

Titan
When you get to the point of installing the OS on it:

I don't think your plan of reusing the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler is wise on a 9700K
It is an 8 core CPU which when boosted has a relatively high TDP. I would invest in something better that will allow the CPU to achieve higher boost frequencies for longer periods of time.

The Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B is great from a price/performance angle. For just performace the Noctua NH-D15 is hard to beat. Other coolers I would consider would be Scythe Fuma 2 or be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

Last edited:
Reactions: Archaic59
You have an excellent build for your usage.

Your type of games are very cpu centric so clock rate is all important.
Today, there is nothing better in that respect than the i7-9700K.
You do not need to overclock.
But, with a good cooler, it is likely that you can get to 5.0 on all cores.
A easy way to do that is to use the intel performance maximizer app.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-auto-overclock-performance-maximizer,6179.html

Hyper212 is a popular cooler, but not good enough, I think for a top build like yours.
I would spend $85 or so on a top air cooler like the noctua NH-D15.

Your RTX2080super is a very good match.

You can certainly use your various drives in a new build, they are compatible.
But, with today's ssd prices being lower and a good budget, I would simplify things by using a single m.2 pcie device like the 1tb Samsung 970 evo plus.
It is much easier to manage a single large C drive space.
The performance and endurance will be better.
If that starts to fill up, you can always add another drive later.
Your motherboard manual will suggest the preferred m.2 slot, but it really should not matter.

Re purpose the 1tb HDD in an external usb enclosure for backup.

If you have a laptop, use the 850 to convert the HDD.

2 x 8gb lpx is a good choice. The low profile will not impact an air cooler.
You might find that speeds up to 3600 do not cost much more, but 3000 is fine.
Intel is not overly sensitive to ram speeds.

650w is fine, and the corsair unit is a good quality unit.

Solution