[SOLVED] looking for apu

How would anybody know, you STILL haven't posted the ACTUAL motherboard model? B450m is NOT a motherboard model. It needs to be something like B450m-A, or whatever the model is, but all B450m tells us is that it is a B450 chipset and that it is a microATX form factor. There is nothing there that explains what the model is.

And for only 28 dollars more than the 4600G, I agree with the first reply here. No way if I needed an APU for AM4 I'd be looking at anything other than the 5600G. It outperforms the rest of the AM4 APUs in cost versus performance and it isn't even a competition.

Reactions: KyaraM
Huh. That's crazy. I didn't think there even were any B450 boards that never got Zen3 support. Hate to say it, but it must be a REALLY low end board because it can't just be due to the ROM size. If they can eliminate Bristol ridge and lower to include support for newer models then they could do the same for the next step up.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

In other words, if you want a Zen3 compatible bios, ask MSI if there's a bios version for specific download, as it's very probable that there is, it's just not publicly accessible. Wouldn't be the first time this was done to prevent the general public from bricking a bios, since it's a one way trip with no reversal. It'll be Zen3 and Only Zen3, but will then support the 5000 series cpus.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
3600G is the best APU that board publicly supports, so that would normally be the extent of knowledge that most Op's would be expected to know. However there does exist a possibility of an upgraded, non publicly announced bios that would allow Op for almost the same price and some emails that they could use an APU on more of a performance and ability level of an imaginary 3900tiG, the 5600G. OP may or may not be aware of that possibility.

OP was adamant about Zen2 for whatever the reason why question it ?
Lots of people are adamant about a lot of things, thinking they already know all there is to know about it, when in fact they know very little, so it's ALWAYS a good idea to question things that seem off or inaccurate. That might not be the case here, but there is equally the fact that if somebody can't provide the simple information asked for before people start slinging answers at the wall to see what sticks then they aren't really looking for intelligent answers to begin with.

Lots of people are adamant about a lot of things, thinking they already know all there is to know about it, when in fact they know very little, so it's ALWAYS a good idea to question things that seem off or inaccurate. That might not be the case here, but there is equally the fact that if somebody can't provide the simple information asked for before people start slinging answers at the wall to see what sticks then they aren't really looking for intelligent answers to begin with.
Many also do but even if not I don't feel I should try to change somebody's mind, may be disrespectful.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Many also do but even if not I don't feel I should try to change somebody's mind, may be disrespectful.
That's kinda subjective. If you walk around the site, you'll see plenty of posts where ppl are offered an alternative, whether that's build advice on a budget, talking someone out of a custom loop, offering a better alternative for cheaper with a gpu, buying overly expensive motherboards etc. Ppl may or may not be looking for alternatives, but it's also generally in their best interest that they have an option especially if there's a valid reason for the option. Then it's on them.

Some would argue that not supplying an alternative would be doing the Op a gross disservice as the value of their aim is far less than an alternative, when you are in a position to know of a better alternative solution with much higher value, that would serve them better, for longer, and don't tell them.

For instance, if I'd known Op was planning on purchasing that particular mobo, with maybe possibilities of upgrading the cpu, I'd have tried to find a way to talk him out of that particular board, as it has no public accessibility to 5000 series cpus, even being a B450 chipset. Even a few $ more for a better mobo, and this discussion would have ended multiple posts ago with the posting of 5600G.