Looking for best budget cooler for my old i5 2500k

Haaveilen

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
Hello everyone. I decided its time to OC my i5 2500k. So I am wondering what CPU air cooler would you recommend me? I am looking for 30-45€ budget ones.

So far I wanted Thermalright Macho HR-02 (43€), but found out my case is 160mm, while Macho is 162mm tall. Now I am not sure anymore what cooler might do good with my kind of old CPU. Other alternatives I came across are:

- Scythe Mugen 4 (38€),
- CM Hyper 212X (31€),
- CM Hyper 212 EVO (32€),
- be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 (38€)..

Which one would you recommend me and why?

Also an offtopic question, I will order a new VGA card with CPU cooler to lower the shipping costs. I was looking between Sapphire Nitro+ rx 470 4GB (222€), Sapphire Nitro+ 480 4GB (248€) or Palit GTX 1060 6GB (277€). Note I am still on 1680x1050 resolution and dont need futureproofing since I sell every GPU before new ones come out and buy new one. I was just wondering because of bottlenecking chance. 290€ is my budget so If I buy 1060 6GB I can't buy CPU cooler. What do you think? Thanks guys alot !!!

Best regards, Haav

Solution
I got a Scythe Mugen 4 and cooled both, a Phantom II x4 955 and now an i7-6700k with it.
it's a nice cooler but makes the 1st RAM Slot unusable. so if you use 4 RAM slots, that's a problem.

it's quiet under load, but there is some (low) noise when idleing.
the bequiet & CM only has 4 heatpipes. it will be enough though. both are fine
also to be taken into consideration is the Cryorig H7/H5 both can convince in tests.

personally, the CM & BeQuiet are both good coolers, the Scythe is one class above but it is a bit big so better check if you can fit anything perfectly.

I got a Scythe Mugen 4 and cooled both, a Phantom II x4 955 and now an i7-6700k with it.
it's a nice cooler but makes the 1st RAM Slot unusable. so if you use 4 RAM slots, that's a problem.

it's quiet under load, but there is some (low) noise when idleing.
the bequiet & CM only has 4 heatpipes. it will be enough though. both are fine
also to be taken into consideration is the Cryorig H7/H5 both can convince in tests.

personally, the CM & BeQuiet are both good coolers, the Scythe is one class above but it is a bit big so better check if you can fit anything perfectly.

Solution

Haaveilen

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016

Thank you for answer. Sadly, the Cryorig H7/H5 are not available in this store. One thing though. I was planning to fill all 4 slots in the future, do you have an idea how to measure if others will fit good, without blocking first slot ?

you gotta look at the dimensions.
I got a GA Z170 Gaming 7, the cooler itself doesn't block the spot, but the fan does.
it's 88+25mm. that's too much for my board apparently with Ripjaws V.
gotta look at specs and do some math