Looking for Best Value Nvidia Card for Physx

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FKSSR

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Hello all,

I hate posting threads like this one, but I've been doing research, and I feel like a couple opinions would be invaluable in helping me make the right call for my situation.

I currently have an ATI Radeon 5850. It runs everything fine, but I want to take advantage of GPU PhysX in a few games such as the Batman games, Mirror's Edge, and Metro 2033 (and it's upcoming sequel).

I'm not looking for a huge upgrade right now, since I'll probably build a new computer in the next year or so (at that point, I'll buy another $350 card). Right now, I really would like to spend $150-$200 (and I'll sell my 5850).

So, can anyone recommend the cheapest Nvidia card that will run Physx at a good rate while running my other games as well as a 5850?

Will a 560 Ti do this?

I usually buy from Amazon.com or NewEgg.com, but I'm open to other sites. I'm in the US.

My current system:
Power Supply: Antec True Power 750W TP-750
Motherboard: MSI P55-GD65
CPU: Intel i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHZ Quad-Core (Overclocked to 3.8GHZ)
RAM: Crucial 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3-1333 PC3-10600 Dual Channel (Overclocked to 1600MHZ)
Video Card: ATI Radeon 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
Monitor resolution: 1920x1200

Thanks!!

Solution

You still can get the cards now, then place them later in your new rig, or wait for the newest ati/nvidia cards; it is up to you.

As some stated you can mix ati with nvidia cards for PhysX, but you need a special driver http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/17706-hybrid-physx-mod-v1-03-v1-05ff.html

If you get the driver, and if you´re willing to have a try, then you can get a cheap nvidia cards just for PhysX, since the the heavy load (rendering) will be done by the primariry card (HD5850), and the second card set just for PhysX.

On the other hand if you get the...
Get a single GTX560Ti. Turn on PhysX. If the FPS hit is too high but you like the effects, then add a cheap GTS450 to your system to do the PhysX. If the effects aren't worth the FPS hit or another $110 or so, then turn off the PhysX and enjoy the slight improvement your new card provides.
SLI is a reference to taking two essentially identical cards and pairing them. A high-end GPU for graphics and a lesser one for PhysX is not SLI, it's two cards.

Physx is offloaded to the cpu if you don't have a nvidia card.

You could try a lower end nvidia card paired with your 5850. I know this is possible but I never really looked up what kind of issues you will have.

jemm

Distinguished

You still can get the cards now, then place them later in your new rig, or wait for the newest ati/nvidia cards; it is up to you.

As some stated you can mix ati with nvidia cards for PhysX, but you need a special driver http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/17706-hybrid-physx-mod-v1-03-v1-05ff.html

If you get the driver, and if you´re willing to have a try, then you can get a cheap nvidia cards just for PhysX, since the the heavy load (rendering) will be done by the primariry card (HD5850), and the second card set just for PhysX.

On the other hand if you get the GTX560ti, then you can get a second hand GT8800 just for PhysX.

Solution

FKSSR

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Thanks everyone for your input!

I'm buying a GT 430 to try and pair with my 5850 with the hacked drivers, because the 430 is only $30 (free shipping) after MIR (I put it on CC, so the wait for MIR doesn't cost me anything).

If that doesn't work, I'll probably buy a 560 Ti (have to decide on 448 or not at that point).

If it does work, I'll just upgrade the 5850 when I build a new computer (after the new Nvidia cards come out) and use the 430 as dedicated PhysX card then.

It looks like the new Nvidia mid to high range cards aren't coming out for 3-9+, so I don't want to wait that long to just get one of those before I can play these games.

Thanks, again!

Status
Not open for further replies.