Question Looking for Bios initialization solution of Legacy Pentium computer.

rfdes100

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
I need some assistance with how to accomplish the following issue:

I own a piece of test equipment from the late '90s that utilized a Pentium motherboard for controlling the instrument. This motherboard is completely custom and uses a Phoenix 4.04 bios and executes Win 2000. This bios has a couple of hardware initialization issues that I believe I know how to correct but a bios update is not going to happen due to the age, etc.

So, to fix the initialization issue what I would like to do is to chain the boot process so that I could execute a small real-mode program to complete/fix the hardware initialization. Then when the initialization application terminates, Windows would boot normally.

Does anyone have an knowledge as to how to accomplish this? I've seen a tool called grub4dos but I am not sure that this will work the way I want it to. I'm looking for something that would work without user intervention. i.e. Turn computer on - bios executes - small app executes - boot into windows.

I would appreciate any advice you have to offer.
Thanks
Jim

rfdes100

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
After looking at your proposal, it appears that the autoexec.nt is only invoked should the user open a command console. So, this doesn't appear to be what will work for me. If anyone has any other possible solutions, your advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim